My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, June 5, 2009

This is not a blog

A number of people, including my wise son, Tobias, have noted that I am not really cut out to maintain a standard blog -- which is to say, a daily posting of commentary on events in the news of the day. I really prefer to post longer, more thoughtfully constructed pieces, that in a different time would be published as journal articles or books.

After struggling with this problem for a while [which is to day, overnight], I have decided to follow my original instincts. Accordingly, as the days go by, I plan to post all manner of essays, chapters of unpublished books, and other materials, in the hope that someone out there will read them and find them interesting or useful.

As a downpayment on that promissory note, here is a link to a paper I wrote some time ago. http://people.umass.edu/rwolff/Pimple.pdf The story of the essay is this: Many years ago, long before I had any expectation of moving to Chapel Hill, NC, I was invited to give the keynote address at the annual Colloquium hosted by the Philosophy Department of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As I had been away from formal philosophy for a time, I chose to make a quite unusual presentation, one that so outraged one member of the audience that after listening to me he jumped up and strode out of the hall.

This paper eventually saw the light of day as the interior portion of an article co-authored by myself and my son, Tobias. That essay can be found in The Hastings Law Journal, Vol. 56, p.379, 2005.

No comments: