My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

THE WAY OF THE BLOGOSPHERE

I have been blogging for months now. I have written long, thoughtful posts about economics, politics, philosophy, education, and lord knows what else. One and only one post has sparked a genuine back and forth of comments -- the question, raised in a comment, who is the greatest Scot ever. I think maybe I am in the wrong universe.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Plus your "very first guest post" :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I always read your blog and I'm from Brazil. I'm just a 18 who read about you in a book of Appiah, introduction to contemporary philosophy and found your blog in wikipedia. Nobody wants to read my opinion, or, maybe, I'm just too shy.

NotHobbes said...

Perhaps everyone agrees with your every word;endless repetition of "Yes Professor, we agree " or similar would drive you(and everyone else) insane.
Perhaps folk are fearful of entering debate, feeling that they would have the legs scythed from under them within minutes(Although I doubt your "Guest blogger" would have such fears)
I don`t know.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Dear Rodrigo, Welcome to the blog. Of course we want to read your opinion. Tell us something about your life in Brazil, and how the world looks from your perspective. Are you a student? What are you studying? All of us are shy at first, but I have been expressing my opinion for sixty years and more. It gets easier with practice!

Unknown said...

Of course the "guest post" would have come to naught without the probing and intelligent comments
:-)

Althouh I live in upstate New York, I too came to this blog from Wikipedia and from a reference to Prof. Wolff in another book, in my case by Raymond Geuss.

NotHobbes said...

I came here after hearing a certain Edinburgh lecturer remark "Wolff`s position is a recipe for..."
And thought to myself "Well, at least this Wolff chap has views of his own making. You, on the other hand, seem utterly devoid of independant thought"


And then, like everyone else, I wiki`d Professor Wolff.

Unknown said...

Thank you. I am a studant. I'm studying to try to enter in the university. The system here is diferent from the USA. I love philosophy and physics (so much that I can't stop reading about it, at the moment I'm reading micro-physics of power of Michel Foucault and I'm always reading the news from the NASA,CERN and New Scientist sites) and I didn't know what to course, so I ended choosing physics. Brazil is growing economic very fast and with a superior course it is getting easier to get jobs. I want to work as a scientist. We recently found a huge petroleum reserve under the sea and it will make Brazil grows faster. In my opinion, the diplomacy of Brazil is one of the best, because we don't force anything, we talk. I think what help us to be like that is that our culture is made from different cultures and we don't make wrong paradigms about other culture. I'll really try to comment more. Thank you again for the warm welcome.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Rodrigo, You might be interested to look up the Brazilian edition of my book, THE IDEAL OF THE UNIVERSITY. It has some things about education that might be useful to you. It appeared in Portuguese in 1992, with a special Brazilian Preface written for the edition.

Unknown said...

At the moment I don't have the time to read(I'm studying from 7:15 AM to 22:00 PM), but when this is all over I'll look for it.

Unknown said...

I've never met someone, either in person or online, who reads both Foucault and physics. I think Rodrigo is C.B.Snow's ideal (and Robert Paul Wolff's ideal student).