My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 11, 2010

ANOTHER MEMORY

As I was sitting at my computer, writing, I heard on the radio in the Living Room a recording of a Handel anthem from his Oratorio, Judas Maccabeus, called, I think, "Thine be the Glory." It called to mind a magical moment from my Sophomore year at Harvard. It was 1951-52, and I was living in Claverly Hall, an overflow dumping ground for undergraduates who did not make it into one of the seven Houses. [As I have already explained, I refused at the end of my Freshman year to go for interviews, which were then required for admission to a House in one's Sophomore year, and as a result I was farmed out to Claverly.] Claverly fronts on the north side of Mt. Auburn Street, just west of Adams House. I came out of Claverly one day to find a small group of Harvard Glee Club men and women standing there, singing the Handel anthem. Far away, across the street and a large lawn, were another small group, responding antiphonally. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard -- all the more moving for being entirely unexpected. Since I have spent my life protesting, in small ways and large, against what I see as Harvard's establishmentarian policies, it seems to me that I ought to acknowledge the happy moments I spent there.

No comments: