My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

OFF TO SEATTLE

Tomorrow morning early, Susie and I fly to Seattle for the weekend. My son's wife's brother is getting married. I am sure the anthropologists among you can name a language in which this relationship is consecrated with its own term, but not in English. I shall be out of touch with the internet until we return late Monday, so I shan't be posting. I am sure there will be a good many outrages and absurdities on which to comment while I am away.

One thought as I prepare to leave: These mid-term elections are terribly important, for all that they are local and confused and dispiriting. The United States is in very bad economic shape right now, and should the Republicans take control of the House, it will be impossible to do anything to pull us out of the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression. I abjure you to set aside any disappointments you may feel with the Obama Administration and do everything you can to elect a Democratic Senator in your state and a Democratic Representative in your House District. If you and countless others do not, we shall not have the luxury of complaining in the next two years. We will be fighting for our collective life. I shall do everything I can to elect Elaine Marshall to the Senate here in North Carolina [I have aleady given her campaign more than a thousand dollars], and since my Rep is in a safe seat, I will cast about for other things to do. It is not exciting or gratifying, but it is necessary. In an off year election, turnout is all, so persuade everyone you know to vote.

See you Tuesday.

4 comments:

NotHobbes said...

Safe and pleasant trip :-)

Mack said...

Enjoy the northwest! It's beautiful up here. Weather's going to be just about perfect over the next week.

Becoming Gaia said...

Even more important - vote for a Democratic governor. Re-districting will occur shortly and the egregious gerrymandering that Republicans delight in could set us back for a decade and more.

Chris said...

Either way, your values are subjected to others at the barrel of a gun (the state). Voting is inherently violent :/