My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

PASSING THE TIME

While I figure out how to start my tutorial [it involves, among other things, getting on line a paper I published 21 years ago -- the Duke Reference desk is helping me, but won't have it until after the Memorial Day weekend] I thought I would amuse myself by putting some of my old papers on box.com. First up, a classic paper I wrote fifty years ago ["classic" if I do say so myself] called "Hume's Theory of Mental Activity." It appeared in Philosophical Review in 1960, and came from my doctoral dissertation. I actually submitted a paper almost twice as long, but they told me to cut it down, so I took an axe to it and got it within their guidelines. I will see whether I can surface some other papers that have, I think, withstood the passage of time.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I know beggars ought not to be choosers, but I feel I must ask: is there anyway the font on your Hume article can be changed? Although I'm only 25, I find my eyes are not so keen, and my dyslexia quite the hurdle, thus making that particular font style excessively cumbersome for what I expect is a quite laudable paper.

Chris said...

p.s. This question is not so much directed at Wolff as to anyone with the computer savvy that would know how to convert that .pdf document into a new font format.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I am afraid I do not have a clue, but I would be delighted if someone would figure it out.

Marinus said...

PDFs are made for type-setting, and not for text manipulation, so there isn't an easy way to do it. You can only hope that the document is perfectly formatted (or the OCR perfectly effective), copy the contents to a new document, and make the changes there. And if the formatting or OCR isn't perfect, then there's simply no way for you to do it.