Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Monday, October 1, 2012

A BRUSH WITH FAME

The MacArthur Foundation has just announced its "genius" grants for this year.  One of the winners is Benoit Rolland, a Boston based archetier, or maker of bows for stringed instruments.  My viola bow is a Benoit Rolland bow!  When I bought my Marten Cornelisson viola some years ago, I tried out a number of bows, and the Benoit Rolland bow made me sound markedly better -- a deeper, richer tone.  In my world, that is as good as having a torn, dirty Michael Jordan shirt from his college days [the prized possession of one of my wife's sons.] 

I feel that I have been touched with greatness.

3 comments:

Superfluous Man said...

Catgut?

C Rossi said...

Robert:

Do you have any thoughts on the death of Barry Commoner and Eric Hobsbawm, both at age 95 and both on the same day?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I had not heard about either, until your comment. Because of my deep involvement in the campaign against nuclear weapons in the 50's and 60's, Commoner was a more significant figure for me, but Hobsbawm was, I would think, far and away the more important voice on the left.