My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, December 14, 2012

SUCCESS HAS CROWNED MY EFFORTS

Well, I cooked the skate wing tonight, and it was a success!  Even though the skate at the market looked as though it just wanted to jump into my boat and bite me, I brought the skate wing home, and conquered it.  The recipe, for that handful who actually want to know, is very easy.

The hardest thing is taking the skin off the side that has not been skinned by the fishmonger.  I think I need one of those super sharp knives that just slips under the skin and peels it off.  Anyway, after fifteen minutes of effort with Susie helping, I got it off.  Then:

1.  Salt the skate wing and dredge it in flour.

2.  Melt a big gunk of butter in a hot pan [the recipe says two tablespoons, but I always exaggerate] and fry the skate wings on both sides for maybe three or four minutes a side.  Then take them out of the pan, pop them in a warming oven on a plate, and add even more butter to the frying pan they came out of, along with "half a cup of white wine" [i.e., maybe a cup].  Cook the butter and wine, getting up the tasty bits with a spatula, until the alcohol burns off and the butter is brown.  Pour it over the skate, and serve. 

Dead easy, assuming your local supermarket carries skate wings.

I served it with thinly sliced sauteed zucchini, but you can serve it with anything.

What is it like?  A meaty, mild white fish, very pleasant, and of course wonderful with all that butter.

No comments: