My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

MR TOAD OF TOAD HALL

I have on several occasions observed that I seem to exhibit a degree of self-absorption that might lead me to be compared to Mr Toad of Toad Hall in The Wind in the Willows.  I have now conceived a new project to occupy me in my declining years, and I am afraid it will simply confirm this diagnosis.  It has occurred to me to create a searcheable CD of everything I have ever published, together with all of the tutorials, mini-tutorials, and appreciations I have posted here, my three volume memoir, and a selection from the file drawer full of unpublished lectures, essays, and drafts, plus perhaps a selection of correspondence from notable or interesting people, all to be accompanied by brief introductions or explanations newly written.  Once this task was complete [and it is rather daunting to think about it], I could offer it to anyone who was interested in having it for roughly the cost of reproduction and mailing, which is to say maybe five dollars.

The biggest challenge would be scanning into a first rate OCR program all of the materials that exist only on the page and not in electronic form.

I mean, how many more series are there like Alias and House of Cards with which I can wile away the hours?

5 comments:

Marinus said...

I wouldn't bother to put the collection on a CD-ROM. A simpler option, not at the mercy of the post-office and a CD drive, would simply to distribute the information in a package of files. You can put this on one of the servers which allow access to huge repositories of data, including books, for common access (used mostly by pirates, true, but also the way Wikileaks et al distribute their media). A non-trivial amount of modern computers don't even have CD-ROM drives any more, but anybody reading your post would be able to access.

There are a variety of ways you could make such a package, from having a virtual CD (which you download instead of pop into a drive) to an e-book.

Jerry Fresia said...

I love the idea. Not sure what format is best but one possibility would be to market it on Amazon (not complicated, either in CD or DVD or ebook format or kindle). That way you could charge, say, $19.95 and have whatever portion go to one of your good causes in perpetuity.

Or maybe you weave the project into a course or a course related activity, so that young students could learn how to get their own ideas/projects out there and raise money at the same time.

Magpie said...

That sounds to me like an excellent idea.

Consider this my intention announcement to acquire one.

Bjorn said...

What Marinus Ferreira said. Distribute it online!

My new laptop doesn't even have an optical drive. CD-ROM technology is quickly going the way of the floppy.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Lord, even when I try to be totally twenty-first century, I am behind the curve. OK. I will start working on scanning things and converting them to digital form and all that stuff. It is a monster job, but what else do I have to do with my declining years?