Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A RESPONSE TO SIMON B

In a recent post, I mentioned a book I had read some time ago about the design of common objects, like the paper clip and the pop top can.  Simon B. asked for the reference.  Well, it took a good deal of Googling, but I have come up with it.  The book is Invention By Design, and the author is Ed Buch, who turns out to be a professor at Duke, in  the next town over from mine.  I found it a really fun read.

2 comments:

Simon B said...

Thanks Bob! Just checking though, are you sure the author isn't Henry Petroski? I couldn't find anything by Ed Buch apart from a review on Petroski's book.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

My mind is going soft. The book seems to be Invention by Design by Henry Petroski. I must have found a reference to Buch's review and gotten confused. Invention by Design is on Amazon. I just checked. Sorry about that.