My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 5, 2014

EPIPHANY

When I was two, my parents enrolled me in the Sunnyside Progressive School in Queens, NY [see my autobiography for the seamy details.]  I went to school for the next twenty-one years, until, in June, 1957, I was awarded the doctorate in Philosophy by Harvard University.  After a six months hiatus for active duty in the U. S. Army, as part of my obligation to the Massachusetts National Guard, I began a teaching career that lasted exactly half a century.  Thus, when I retired in August 2008 I had been in school, one way or another, for seventy-two years.  The last months of my fifty-year career were devoted to packing up and moving to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, but when the last box was unpacked and the last book put up on the shelves of my new home office, I complained to Susie that I needed to find something to do. 

Oh, I tried.  I taught four courses in Duke University's "learning in retirement" program;  I taught a graduate seminar in UNC's Public Policy Department.  I edited my published and unpublished papers in four volumes and put them on Amazon as E-books.  I even spent a year as an unpaid professor at Bennett College trying unsuccessfully to develop a program to address the low graduation rate.  Fretfully, urgently, anxiously, I was trying to find a new job.

All the while, more or less on the side, I was running this blog.  The day before yesterday I had an epiphany -- or, as we say in this neighborhood, an eclaircissementTHIS is my job!  Writing regularly for a blog is a job, at least for someone who thinks of himself as a writer.  All along, I have had a job.  I don't get paid for it, of course, but I have a pension, so that is not a problem.  I can stop worrying about what I am going to do in retirement.  I have been doing it for six years.

Susie is very relieved.


3 comments:

Magpie said...

Prof.

I was wondering if you have considered the possibility of writing educative material for adult workers. I mean, people who may not have had much in the way of formal education, but who have accumulated experiences of what being a worker really means.

I am thinking of things like what is exploitation, why "middle-class" is not a useful concept, what is Marxism, why popular views on history are misguided, the value of unions, you know more basic things like that.

I am sure Marxist websites could be very interested in that (you could also contact them to ask what could be useful).

Dollars and Sense, for instance, has some basic stuff.

Ludwig Richter said...

As one of your new regular readers, allow me to thank you for making this your job

Unknown said...

I love to read your comments! They are well written, intelligent, and show a deep concern for humanity. Keep up the good work!