Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 16, 2014

A SLIGHT PAUSE TO REFRESH

Writing a blog is a little like opening a vein and letting your vital bodily fluids [to quote Dr. Strangelove] seep out of your body.  Even if you are eighty years old, as I am, and did a bit of work in your youth, there are only so many ideas lodged in your brain on which you can call for a blog post.  Sooner or later, like it or not, you need to read something before you start to write.  This morning, I checked Paul Krugman's blog [I don't count that as reading], and found him referring to a book called Secular Stagnation:  Facts, Causes and Cures to which he had contributed an essay .  I decided to read it, so I followed his link and downloaded the book.  The book consists of thirteen essays, but since they run, in total, to only 164 pages, I figured I could make it all the way through to the end.  I am now on page 83, which is to say halfway.  By lunch, I think I should be finished, at which point I will have something to say about it, good for another blog post.  But I cannot keep this up.  I mean, if I have to read a book every time I write a blog post I will never make it.  So do not consider this a harbinger of things to come.  I shall in general continue to offer unsupported opinions, drawing on a lifetime of accumulated stuff rather than any new facts or ideas.  That is what it is to be a commentator in the public sphere, right?

No comments: