My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

AVE ATQUE VALE

When I got up in  the middle of the night, as I usually do, I learned the sad news that Robin Williams is dead.  Each of us, I am sure, has his or her favorite Robin Williams roles, or shticks, or moments.  It says a good deal about the strength of his appeal that when Susie saw a preview of the latest Night at the Museum stinker, she said she wanted to go just because Williams is in it [he plays a statue of Theodore Roosevelt who comes alive at night, for those of you who have not seen the first or second iterations.]  From the instant obits, it is easy to see that he led a tortured life, from whose shambles he crafted great art.  Surely he was the greatest improvisational artist who has ever lived.  I saw Nichols and May back in the day when they were an improv team on the nightclub circuit.  Quick and hilarious though they were, they could not come close to Williams' speed and imagination.  As a stolid monoglot, I struggle with even the most prosaic French or German.  I sometimes think the ultimate test of a command of English would be the ability to follow one of Williams' riffs.

Williams' portrayal of the psychiatrist in Good Will Hunting remains in my memory as a powerfully moving piece of acting, in part I am sure because the film is one of my all-time favorites.  He did something similar in Awakenings

There is no point in reaching for some deeper meaning in this untimely death, unless to take it as one more evidence, as if we needed more, that there is no God.

No comments: