My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

THE LAST SOVIET COMMISSAR

Today, at long last, I got a UNC ONYEN ["the only name you'll ever need"], a PID [a Personal Identification Number], a working computer in my basement office at UNC, and a One Card, with which, by paying some money, I will be able to use a parking garage only four or five blocks from Caldwell Hall, the home of the UNC Philosophy Department.  I have arrived!  At the One Card Office, the secretary took my picture, inasmuch as the One Card is a photo ID card, not just a card to swipe to get into the garage.

Here is the picture.  I do believe I look like the last Soviet Commissar.  If I could figure out how to do it, I would exchange this one for the photo now on this blog, which shows me with a lopsisded grin inappropriate for a very senior serious person.

11 comments:

Nate C said...

Thumbs up d(^_^d)

Andrew Lionel Blais said...

Wunderbar!

Jerry Fresia said...

Dear Professor: you can no longer pretend you have one foot in the grave. My wife thought your voice in the Jack Russell interview sounded "youthful;" so did I and warm and congenial too. (Apart from the content, I enjoyed hearing the slight New York accent.) And this photo hardly suggests some old apparatchik. You look quite strong and noble, even wise. And your elbow is without pain. Amazing what difference a few days make. I think your next blog ought to be devoted to health tips.

Magpie said...

Sorry to be the contrarian, but I like your other photo better.

I know it's just a detail, maybe even an unimportant one, but the new photo reveals no sign of humour.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Jerry, thank you. The show was really rather odd: Two expatriate New Yorkers, one in North Dakota, the other in North Carolina, talking about Marx in New York accents.

Magpie, that is part of what I like about the photo! Since I am nothing if not given to himor, it is like a joke -- Sacha Baron Cohen playing a Commissar.

TheDudeDiogenes said...

I must say, Professor, you make a more convincing commissar than I think even SBC would!

JC Boue said...

Most distinguished. The spitting image of Eli Wallach, as I live and breathe

Jim said...

I don't know -- you kind of look like an extra from a Serbian gangster movie.

-- Jim

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Jim, exactly. That is why I love it.

Jerry Fresia said...

Pefect. "...Marxist, atheist, violist, father, husband.....etc etc....and I'm also into irony."

Unknown said...

In colloquial terms...you look like a badass!