Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 30, 2015

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I suppose someone whose Internet handle is classstruggle should not be expected to have much in the way of a sense of humor, but I really think his/her response to my lighthearted post about line-standers was, shall we say, somewhat out of proportion.

Lighten up!

3 comments:

classtruggle said...

Oh no! My reply was taken the wrong way. Gosh, my apologies Professor Wolff -- in no way were my observations a criticism of you or your reference to Simmel. I treat your posts as so many opportunities to learn more about the world and at times, to revisit, reassess and respond to certain topics and thinkers that I may have read or learned about in the past. In this case, I only meant to open up a discussion about or reflect on the relationship between Simmel and Marx/Marxism. Nothing more.

Oh the intricacies of the English language sure can cause a lot of misunderstandings and inaccuracies. By no means am I alone in that regard?

David Auerbach said...

Social media and email (both in their brevity and speed of composition) occasion a certain uncertainty of tone. I didn't take classstruggle's response as snarky but as a sparked response that, it's true, deviated from the light-hearted tone of the RPW post, but seemed a honest intellectual semi-free association.

BTW: SInce Tobias self-nominated himself as an unpaid (except in the currency of familial love) line holder, he's off the hook for hiring one...

K.Reader said...

Your blog arouses all sorts of reactions. ;) My first emotional (female) reaction was: Oh, he is so proud of his family! Same here! Did he pay for the meal? I always pay in similar situations. Then: OMG those Americans,so "democratic", let "all" people queue! - Classstruggle is an intellectual. Completely different reaction! Please, keep on inspiring us!