Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Friday, May 1, 2015

I STAND IN AWE

This was posted, for some mysterious reason, on my other blog -- Formal Methods -- on April 11.  It was supposed to appear here:

Yesterday evening, Susie and I had dinner with David Reeve and his wife, Ina. David is a senior member of the UNC Philosophy Department who teaches Greek philosophy, among other things, and Ina has been sitting in on my Marx lectures. Susie and I got to the restaurant first, and when David and Ina arrived, he presented me with a thick paperback book with a brilliant red cover. It turned out to be a new translation of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics which David published very recently.

Now, I have the deeepest respect for those who read Plato and Aristotle in the original, but I stand in awe of anyone who has actually translated works of Plato or Aristotle. This morning I started reading David's long Introduction, which is fascinating and written without the slightest trace of jargon or faux scholarly showing off. I have already learned a great deal that I did not know [although that is, alas, faint praise indeed.]

If any of you are looking for a good summer read, I strongly recommend David's translation. The Ethics is of course on my list of twenty-six essential great works of Philosophy.

2 comments:

Acastos said...

Pet Peeve: the work is titled Nicomachean Ethics. Your spelling is a very common mistake.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

My mistake, not David Reeve's, needless to say.