Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

To contact me about organizing, email me at rpwolff750@gmail.com




Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2016

BE NOT AFRAID

I imagine many of you are in despair at the recent polls showing Clinton and Trump in a dead heat, or even with Trump a few points ahead.  Sam Wang at the Princeton Consortium offers this reassurance.  It will be August before the polls are meaningful.

To pass the time, I spent this rainy Paris morning stuffing a coquelet with pearl onions, mushrooms, prunes, and chopped nuts, with several pieces of butter [yes, real sweet butter] interlarding the mixture.  This afternoon, when we return from a showing of the latest Woody Allen movie, I shall put the bird in a slow oven and nip out for another bottle of Beaume de Venise rouge.

A typical slow day in the City of Lights.

11 comments:

Jerry Fresia said...

Talk about living the good life! Here's hoping the revolution doesn't break out until
the bird is out of the oven and that wine bottle is empty! Didn't Marx say something
about electoral critique in the morning, dinner cooking in the late afternoon (with
wine sipping), and community activity with Allen late evening? Where's the viola?

Thúy Vy said...

Great article. I read this article properly. This is one of the best posts. Thanks sharing this article
teefury|teefury coupon

s. wallerstein said...

I'm a vegetarian (not the preachy type), but the stuffing you prepare sounds so good
that I'll try it with noodles. Thanks for the recipe.

Chris said...

What is meaningful is the empirical fact that the more the public is exposed to Hillary, the more they don't like her. So best case scenario, come August, she's more hated and less likely to win!

Bernie however is still dominating Trump in head to heads.

Keith said...

Regarding "butter [yes, real sweet butter]". What is this magic substance?

Here on the North Coast (by Lake Ontario) we have a choice of good butters - French (President), Irish (Kerry Gold) and U.S (Plugra - say it out loud). I rather like these. And, to confirm, I did a blind test with my daughter (a 1-year exchange student in France) and she immediately, happily, spotted it.

According to my sister, in Zebulon (not the absolute most cosmopolitan place in the USA), she uses Kerry and has used President. So it's not a remote NC thing.

So - are you experiencing something better? Really - I would love to know more!

s. wallerstein said...

Sweet butter is butter without salt or with very little salt in it.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I only eat butter in France because I have a weird superstitious belief that in Paris butter and salt are good for you [and, No, I do not want to hear rational objections that this makes no sense.] The sweet butter I buy at the local minimart is President, as it happens. Everything tastes better when cooked with butter, and the cooking even smells better.

vathek said...

Hmm, does this really have anything to do with salt? I don't think it does in Europe. I thought sweet butter was made from unfermented "sweet" cream instead of soured cream. My mom tells me soured cream is required for churning butter manually, which she claims she had to do regularly as a child and does not feel like ever doing again. She also claims that sweet butter is "obviously" the superior choice for cooking - and how could I not know that...

- Michael

s. wallerstein said...

According to what I find in Google, sweet butter is unsalted butter:

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/butter/types-of-butter/sweet-butter

In my experience, sweet butter needs to have a more perfect butter taste than normal supermarket butter (salted butter) because the salt masks slight imperfections in that special butter taste.

Keith said...

We're talking about two things here: "sweet" or "unsalted" butter and (for want of a better name) "European butter". The latter has a higher fat (lower water) content.

http://www.thekitchn.com/is-european-but-163688

In my original comment I had the impression that Dr. Wolff had been deprived of it until arriving in Paris.

vathek said...

Looks like butter types are distinguished differently in North America. In Germany and Austria the difference is between the cream used - "sweet" and "sour"("Suessrahmbutter" and "Sauerrahmbutter")-, both salted and unsalted. Obviously, the "sour" type is called cultured butter in North America:

https://www.dairygoodness.ca/butter/types-of-butter/cultured-butter

In France, the relevant distinction to my knowledge is between salted and unsalted butter of the unfermented kind.

The more perfect butter taste of your sweet butter might be due to a higher percentage of butterfat, but that is mere speculation on my part. Salt may very well have something to do with that.