My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2016

PARIS MUSINGS

The Seine is receding from its flood levels, and the banks of the river are reappearing, although there are still stretches of the Right Bank under water.  I hear from friends that farther down river, nearer the Eiffel Tower, things are a good deal worse, but that is not my quartier, so I take very little interest in such tidings.

Rascasse tonight, filet et sans peau, which is to say filleted with the skin removed.  I looked up "rascasse" and discovered that the English is "devilfish."  It is a scary looking fish before it is filleted.  I hope it tastes good.  Caramelized mandolined sweet onions and baby potatoes will complete a simple dinner.

The big news locally is the Eurocup soccer matches.  Lots of cheering from the sports bar at the end of the street each evening,  but I must confess that I do not care.  For some very odd and incomprehensible reason the French [like everyone else in the world except Americans] call Soccer "football."  Maybe it is just as well that I am going home on Tuesday.

Which brings me to the election.  But that deserves a separate post.

2 comments:

David Auerbach said...

1. Did you use "tidings" on purpose?
2. rascasse is the base fish of bouillabaisse (I think it is also called scorpionfish).

Stone Sample Boards said...

THANKS FOR YOUR POST.