My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2016

PERSONAL BEST

On Sunday morning, while I was moving around the bed, making it, I caught a little toe on my right foot on a bedpost and broke it.  This morning, I managed my daily four mile walk with only a seven minute delay off my usual time.  I spent the extra minutes planning my first lecture on Kant.  

Waste not, want not.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats, Prof! I'm in my 20s and I would struggle if I just bumped my toe, let alone break it

Chris said...

When you walk, is it in silence, or do you listen to music and/or podcasts?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I walk in silence and think. Or, more precisely, I explain things to imaginary audiences. For example, this morning, after delivering some of my first Kant lecture in my head, I explained, to an imaginary audience, the difference between the way fission nuclear weapons and fusion nuclear weapons work, and why there are both, physically speaking. Don't ask why I did that. It would take too long.

s. wallerstein said...

You are a true Kantian in your morning habits.

I'm fairly Kantian myself (Ashkenazi Jews are almost always Kantians), but I'm always looking for a pretext (rain, cold, my cough, my back) to cut a few blocks off my morning routine walk.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

If the residents of your town were setting their clocks by you, as the good people of Konigsberg did with Kant, then you would be more punctilious. Of course, it is said that when a copy of Rousseau's EMILE arrived, Kant became so enrossed that he skipped his morning walk. I guess nobody's perfect.

s. wallerstein said...

I'm sure that someone has said this better and more precisely, but Kantian ethics insofar as they insist that the rules are the same for everyone are a system of ethics that an oppressed people, as Ashkenazi Jews were in Europe, would tend to adopt and to be in favor of, while consequentialist ethics seem to assume that each ethical agent has a certain power over events, which oppressed people seldom have, and thus, consequentialist ethics seem suited to an enlightened elite such as Bentham or Mill represent. The oppressed person is almost never in the position of deciding to throw the switch in the trolley problem, while the member of the elite makes that type of decision on a daily basis.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

very nicely put

s. wallerstein said...

Thank you.

Chris said...

Professor Wolff,
I was told that when he missed the walk due to Rousseau, everyone thought he was dead.