My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2016

WHEW

Sam Wang says that Clinton got a median seven point bounce from her convention.  I can breathe again.

4 comments:

wallyverr said...

Don't breathe too soon. The Ray Fair model of presidential election forecasting, based purely on economic factors, is not encouraging.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2016/07/lets-hope-ray-fair-doesnt-rise-too-high-in-status.html

Fair (academic economist at Yale) follows the popular approach (for economists) of a small set of explanatory variables, trying to explain a lot with very little.

On a happier note, I have finished the chapter on Phenomena and Noumena, but I am not sure I will get any farther before the start of the UNC term.

Has anyone had further thoughts on supplementing the Kemp Smith translation with the Guyer & Wood Cambridge University Press translation? I was in the mothership bookstore of the CUP earlier today, and the large shelf of Kant translations was winking at me.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Since I cannot have any measurable impact on the race no matter what I believe, I choose to believe what makes me feel better. :) I mean, at my age, why waste three months feeling bad?

wallyverr said...


I wish your approach would work for me when reading even the quality newspapers on the Brexit negotiations -- all I sense is scope for stupidity and miscalculations.

PS I like the new anti-robot filter.

Paul Kern said...

This too should make you breathe easier.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/08/01/gallup_republican_national_convention_poll_not_great.html