My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 19, 2017

ANTICIPATION

The truth is, I don’t much like politics.  It is desperately important, and I have devoted a good deal of my life to thinking about it, writing about it, and even, in small ways, doing it, but I would much rather spend my time thinking about the arguments of Plato, Kant, Hume, Marx … or Freud.  For that reason, I am looking forward with great anticipation to the start of my four part videotaped series on The Thought of Sigmund Freud.  I find Freud’s work genuinely interesting, and trying to make clear what I see as its core ideas gives me considerable pleasure.  It is not really important to me that viewers [or readers of my books] agree with me, only that they find the ideas as fascinating as I do.  A week from tomorrow I shall deliver and record the first lecture.  I hope that a few of you will take a brief break from the painful but compelling events of the public world and devote some time to watching.

5 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

I'm looking to forward to your Freud lectures.

In any case, I don't see studying Freud as unconnected to politics as I might see the study of Greek architecture or even of Kant. Understanding Freud can help us become more aware of the instinctual forces which underlie so much apparently rational political behavior: Trump's behavior with Angela Merkel might well be as much the product of his deep-seated unconscious misogyny as of his supposedly well-thought out foreign policy.

And it's not just Trump. Many times my own political hostilities stem from repressed or by now semi-conscious childhood trauma.

Chris said...

Will Marcuse's Eros and Civilization be taught in the course?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

No. I will mention it in the first lecture, but then it will be all Freud. I wish I could find a way to offer a continuing seminar on the many different things that interest me. One step at a time.

Utopian Yuri said...

I am looking forward to it. Are there any particular works of Freud that you would recommend reading in preparation? I have a copy of a Freud reader at work and I've been reading selections at lunchtime.

Charles Perkins said...

Can't wait!