My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

SHAMEFUL PLEASURES

One hundred eighteen straight wins at FreeCell and counting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you’re a purist who disdains “undo,” but that’s not for me. After a long losing streak a few years ago, I discovered “undo” and have been a wizard at the game ever since. With the help of “undo” I’m now at 98%--3600 wins in 3672 games. (Those 72 were lost before I discovered “undo,” and I grieve at the thought that no matter how many more games I win, I can never get to 100%.)

At first I felt a little guilty about it, but I’ve been able to rationalize my procedure. After all, “undo” is part of the game. So now I treat each game as a puzzle to be solved; if I don’t get it right away, I keep at--with the help of undo--until I solve it. Rather than look at myself as someone who’s cutting corners if not cheating, I prefer to consider myself an intrepid Free Cell warrior who never gives up.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Sigh. There are some differences so deep that no rational discourse can bridge the gulf. I reguarly use undo for Spider Solitaire but would consider it heresy to espouse the use of undo in FreeCell. I maintain roughly a 97% win rate without it, however. I read on line somewhere that there are enthusiasts who have played every possible game. They report that there is one unwinnable game. Whether they use Undo, I do not know. The most FreeCell games I have ever lost in a row is two. There are probably support groups for people like us.