My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 14, 2019

LIVE AND LEARN

The college entrance scandal has intrroduced me to a new social category.  The daughter of one of the actresses, whose college entrance [the daughter, not the actress] was facilitated by hefty bribe payments, is described in news stories as an "influencer."  

Am I the last kid on the block to learn this term?

7 comments:

Jon said...

It's not a social category; it's a job. Influencers are people with strong social media presences who take money in return for featuring a company's products or services in their social media postings.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Cool. How do I get to be an influencer? :)

Ed Barreras said...

Are you familiar with the Fyre Festival debacle? Influencers played a key role in it. I recommend the Hulu documentary for the run-down. (Netflix also released a Fyre Festival documentary, which is good but less biting than the Hulu one.) A seasoned Marxist like you really ought to have known about the Influencers because they truly are late-stage capitalism made flesh (er, pixels?).

A side note: the actress in question is Lori Loughlin, “Aunt Becky” from the sitcom Full House, which I loved in my youth but which is perfectly terrible and now only watchable as camp.

F Lengyel said...

Here’s a HowTo from Bloomberg: Confessions of an Instagram Influencer. For a joke I sometimes append these ludicrous influencer hashtags (lifted from the article) to my posts on Instagram: #menwithclass, #mensfashion, #agameofportraits, #hypebeast, #featuredpalette, #makeportraits, #humaneffect, #themanity, and the for carefully planned photos, #liveauthentic.

jim said...

In politics I am an anarchist, in religion I am an atheist, in economics I am a Marxist, and on Instagram, I am an influencer.

Marinus said...

I want to second the recommendation that your watch the Netflix documentary on the Fyre festival, because it's an object lesson in what influencers (the most influential ones) look like and what their influence amounts to, and because it's a great watch. (I hear the Hulu one that came out the same time is also really good, but I haven't seen it myself).

Christopher J. Mulvaney, Ph.D. said...

I think shill is the right word, though Influencer sounds considerably more respectable.