My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 10, 2014

BACK IN HARNESS

As a consequence of several exploratory conversations, it appears that I shall spend the first four months of next year lecturing on Marx's critique of capitalism.  In the Duke University Learning in Retirement program, I shall be teaching an eleven week course on "The Thought of Karl Marx."  In the UNC-Chapel Hill Philosophy Department, I shall be teaching a combined graduate and advanced undergraduate Spring semester course on Karl Marx's Critique of Capitalism.  The Duke lectures will range widely over all of Marx's thought, while the focus of the UNC course will be the modern mathematical re-interpretation of Marx's economic theories.  If time permits, I will end each course with a discussion of Thomas Piketty's Capital in the Twenty-first Century and its relation to Marx's thought.

I teach the Duke course as a volunteer.  UNC will pay me a bit for their course, but not, I fear, as much as the two hundred thousand dollars Hillary Clinton has been getting for each lecture to Wall Street types.  Still and all, the pay is a significant increase over the dollar-a-year I negotiated at Bennett College [which, by the way, they never paid me -- the Treasurer could not figure out how to pay me twelve instalments of 8.5 cents each.]

It should be fun.

9 comments:

Chris said...

This sounds like my dream job.
Congrats!

David Auerbach said...

The Duke gig has the advantage of taking you to Durham and all sorts of good eats.

Turkle said...

Professor - these days, many universities have facilities to record and stream over the web lectures in podcast format (or others). I myself have enjoyed entire classes from the likes of David Harvey, Wendy Brown, and Hubert Dreyfus, among others.

I wonder if you would consider having your lectures recorded and distributed for the education and entertainment of your internet readers and the public at large?

Andrew Lionel Blais said...

I second Turkle's motion....

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Let me look into it. I am averse to such things because I have a variety of facial tics [have had them all my life] that I think make me look grotesque [although my wife and children, bless them, assure me they don't]. There is of course the deeper question: can I master the techie stuff required. I might have to hire a twelve year old girl to handle it. :)

Andrew Lionel Blais said...

How fascinating that the grotesque grips many of us the way the blintz gripped comrade Reuben?

Unknown said...

I'm sure the tics are fine! I really hope you can arrange this, I for one wouldn't miss a beat.

Turkle said...

I assure you Prof., that although I'm sure your audience would happily overlook any tics, it is rather the audio that is important. Recording audio is also much easier, and it is easy to automatically upload audio lectures in podcast format to put on one's mp3 player in the gym, subway, or what have you.

So if camera-shyness is the only thing holding you back, please do consider audio recordings, which are in many ways more convenient for your internet audience anyway.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Good point, Turkle. I will look into it. That certainly sounds easier to manage.