My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 20, 2013

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

I have written a good deal about cooking here in Paris, and it occurs to me that someone might be interested in the space in which I do my cooking.  [All blogging is a cross between faith and narcissism.  But then, faith is a cross between faith and narcissism.  I mean, why should I imagine that God is waiting to hear from ME?]  So I measured my kitchen.  It is 160 by 170 centimeters, which is to say about 29 square feet -- a bit more than five by five.  In that space are a refrigerator, a two-burner plaque induction cooktop, a [brand new] dishwasher, a sink, a combination microwave and convection oven, a Paris stone work surface, and storage space above and below for dishes, glassware, pots and pans, food supplies, herbs and spices.

In that tiny space, large enough for only one person at a time, I have prepared duck, rabbit, quail, coquelet, steak, pork chops, boeuf bourguignon, paupiette, dorade royale, turbot, tuna, rouget barbet, swordfish, skate, coquilles St. Jacques, trout, gambas,  meat sauce for pasta, French beans, pea pods, white and green asparagus, braised endives, zucchini, mushrooms, steamed baby spinach, fingerling potatoes, linguini, and heaven knows what else.

I am in Paris,  one of the magical cities of the world, and yet I can honestly say that some of the happiest hours I have spent here have been in that tiny space a tad larger than five feet square.

No comments: