My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

MY INAUGURAL APPEARANCE AS A PUNDIT

After a long period of study and reflection, I have concluded that the role of pundit demands First, an ignorance of the subject about which one is pontificating; Second, a willingness to offer dramatic and unfounded predictions; and Third, instantaneous amnesia concerning prognostications that go wrong.  I think I am ready.

Herewith my first prediction.  The topic is Donald Trump's selection of a running mate.  It is clear that Trump's choice will be guided by his desire to shock, to seize and hold the attention of the media, and by his obsessive need for a running mate who is slavishly subordinate to his self-aggrandizing ego and will be completely obedient to his wishes.

 Accordingly, I fearlessly predict that Trump will choose his daughter, Ivanka, as his Vice Presidential counterpart.

If I am correct, you heard it here first.  If I am wrong, I have no recollection of having ever made so absurd a prediction.

6 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

If you're right, there will be at least one candidate who is a pleasure to look at.

To attempt to show I'm not as sexist as all of you imagine, I found Obama and Sanders both a pleasure to look at too.

Paul said...

If this is true politics will surely have been reduced to mockery. Since Trump nor his daughter has any experience in government is this the equivalent of Caligula making his horse consul?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Paul, bravo! A lovely comment. Except that in this case, it would be difficult to tell which one was the horse!

Chris said...

Who do you think Clinton's VP will be?

Brian Leiter said...

I predicted he would choose one of his kids ages ago! You need to keep up with the cutting-edge of shoot-from-the-hip punditry!

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Sigh. Upstaged by the master. I seem always to be the second person to say something!