My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 7, 2018

SIGH

I detect an ironic undertone in the two comments on my last post.  Can it be?  Surely not.

7 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

Why set yourself up for people who are looking for a opportunity to put someone down?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Because it amuses me, and my hope is that someone, out of curiosity, will take a look at the video. Lighten up!

s. wallerstein said...

In any case, your scholarly accomplishments speak for themselves.

LFC said...

Some time ago I watched the series on Ideological Critique, or at least much of it, including the last lecture, which is indeed good.

I wondered, rather pedantically, why you called the series Ideological Critique, which suggests that the critique itself is ideological, whereas the title Critique of Ideology (in Mannheim's sense of "ideology" as a masking device, which you use) would, it seems to me, have been more accurate. But I guess Ideological Critique is a bit more punchy and sounds less like the title of a turgid 19th-cent. tome.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Aside from the fact that it seemed catchy, I meant to convey that I was going to be talking about critiques that focused on the ideological character of certain texts, as opposed to say, an historical critique, a linguistic critique, a philosophical critique, or a scientific critique.

Austin Haigler said...

I have watched the lectures on IC many times. Probably 4 times all the way through. I am really intrigued by Mannheim's distinction that time consciousness is ideologically encoded. As well as your subsequent ideas towards space consciousness being likewise. Question, given you had remarked that the space consciousness ideas you laid out were rough drafts or outlines, what is the more official take on these two ideas? Any interesting work done by philosophers or sociologists about the application of them? Or, critique?

By my experience living in (very) rural and metro areas alike, space consciousness does seem ideologically encoded.

Anonymous said...

Keep going -- I'd say you were above the Parnassian but still below the Nietzschean height of self-aggrandizement.