My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 4, 2018

BRIEF BREAK

On Thursday I had my second Shingles vaccine shot, and as anticipated, it had a bad effect on me.  I spent most of yesterday laid up, but will be back tomorrow blogging.  I would like to say something about the Noam Chomsky interview to which someone with the handle "Heraclitus" linked in a comment.  

And so, to steal a line from Pepys, to bed.

4 comments:

Jerry Fresia said...

Ouch. That sounds painful. Not sure how you could write under the circumstances. On the other hand, I read once that Marx, when he was feeling the pain of his boils or whatever it was that he had, would read Laplace transforms in French. I always wondered, did the pain of doing that task shift his mind from the pain of his illness, or was the experience so soothing in an aesthetic way that he forgot about the pain. I trust it was the latter but doing Laplace transforms in French (not much French involved?) sounds rather challenging for someone who is suffering to begin with.

LFC said...

Because I had a first shingles shot and am supposed to get the follow-up, I'm curious why you anticipated (correctly) that the second one would have a bad effect on you. Is it because the first one had had a bad effect on you, or is there some other reason?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Because everyone, including doctors and pharmacists, warned me the second one could be worse. My wife had no problems, but a friend had a terrible reaction. I hope yours goes well.

Michael Martin said...

I hope you get well soon. I just read your work “In Defense of Anarchism”. While I am not for anarchy, I learned a lot from reading your essay. It was in a text book below. Thanks.

Pojman, Louis P. and Vaughn, Lewis. Philosophy: The Quest for Truth, Tenth Edition. New York: Oxford University Press, 2016. Pages 569-571