My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 24, 2021

THERE AND HOME AGAIN

I am home again and there is a great deal to say about the terrible things happening in the world, but let me begin with a comic episode from our Paris stay. This visit was spent by Susie and me packing up personal belongings and getting ready to sell the apartment. We have a buyer, but these things take time and it will probably be the end of September before the closing takes place. One of my biggest tasks was doing something with the books I have been displaying on the shelves of the apartment for these past 17 years. The guidebooks, the pocket dictionaries, the Michelin guides, the enormous numbers of volumes of schlock fiction – they all stay. But that left the complete set of the works of Marx and Engels in German, more than 40 thick heavy volumes in all, plus some books on Kant’s philosophy that I had not yet brought home, and one copy each of every translation and edition of every book I have published – roughly 70 volumes in all.

 

Because of my Parkinson’s, merely getting them down off the shelves in preparation for packing them was a large job, but I managed it and by 10 days ago there were large piles of books in the middle of the apartment waiting to be packed. A wonderful man, Yves Liverset, who has over the years made repairs in the apartment, agreed to help and on July 15 he showed up with some boxes and tape and set to work. The boxes, it said on the side, were each 30 cm x 30 cm x 60 cm in size and all of the books fit snugly into four of them, which Yves taped up securely. Two days later, just a week ago, he came to take them to the post office.  Yves had come in a tiny electric car – one of the free cars that Paris makes available and which apparently one signs up for using one’s cell phone.  He parked outside our coop building, carried  the heavy boxes out two at a time on a little two wheel roller, and put them in the back of the car. They just barely fit and in fact because the hatch was not securely closed the car would not start. Traffic built up behind us on the one lane one-way street and finally, in exasperation, the blocked drivers got out and pushed us to the end of the little street and off to the side so that they could get by. Then finally the car started and off we went to the post office, which was only four or five blocks away.

 

Yves brought in the four boxes and explained what we wanted to do. By now it was about 9:30 in the morning.  It turned out that the post office has a 20 kg limit on boxes that can be sent by post and each of our four boxes weighed in at a little bit more. So we had to cut open the boxes and keep removing books one at a time until each box registered a bit below the 20 kg limit. An enormously helpful young woman working at the post office, who ended up spending hours with us, brought out four small shipping boxes which we filled with the overflow books. Then it came time for the paperwork. One of my Parkinson’s symptoms is a condition called micrographia. To put it simply, I can no longer write anything that is legible so Yves had to do all the writing. Each of the eight boxes required an elaborate shipping label and an equally elaborate customs label so Yves had to copy out my Paris address and my American address 16 times! Finally, at about noon, the job was done. There they sat, four big boxes and four small boxes ready to go. The cost? €1000! This was, needless to say, a great deal more than I paid for the books in the first place but I considered it cheap at the price to get them safely back to the United States.

 

I figured it would take three weeks, four weeks, three months before the book finally arrived. I would be rested from my trip and eager to see them by the time they showed up.

 

THE BOOKS ARRIVED YESTERDAY! 


I think we must really raise a glass to the French Postal Service. I have already put 45 volumes of Marx and Engels on shelves here in my office and when I have recovered some measure of energy I will figure out what to do with the copies of the books I have written. By the way, my books tend to be short and rather small and I think all 70 copies, including the various additions of my textbook ABOUT PHILOSOPHY, will take up about half the space occupied by the Marx and Engels, if that.

 

With the arrival of the books the reality that we have sold the apartment washed over me and I felt very sad. We will not always have Paris, but we had it for 17 years and that is something.

 

8 comments:

Jerry Brown said...

Glad you are back Professor.

Michael Llenos said...

I believe the beginning of summer is supposed to be somewhat busy, fall is supposed to heat up, winter is a nightmare, and just about now very slow. But I don't know if France has the same postal service timing as the USA. They're european so I am assuming they do.

LFC said...

In December the French postal service probably gets busy, just as the U.S. one does. But the current U.S. postmaster general has been making moves that can delay and have delayed delivery in some cases, and I doubt anything comparable is going on w the French postal service, though I know little about it. I assume it's a state-run agency, unlike USPS, which is some kind of public/private hybrid, expected to finance its own operations through its sales.

Another Anonymous said...

My comical experience on our first visit to France back in 1994 was not quite as labor intensive. Before my wife and I left our home to travel to Paris, we had a burglar alarm system installed in our house. As a complimentary gift for the installation, the burglar alarm company gave us a personal alarm device, which. upon being activate, emitted a loud, screeching noise which was supposed to scare off any mugger/assailant. So, I thought it would be a good idea to bring it with us on our trip to Paris. After a wonderful 10 days in France, full of splendid tours of French museums, cathedrals and a moving trip to Normandy and the Normandy cemetery, I packed the alarm in our luggage and headed off to the d’Orcy airport. As we were proceeding through security with our luggage, the jiggling set off the alarm, which could be heard screeching throughout the airport. My wife and I were immediately surrounded by a score of gendarmes, weapons drawn. Utterly humiliated, I apologized profusely and begged for forgiveness, as I tore open our luggage searching for the alarm, grabbed it, threw it on the ground and began stomping on it until it died with a solemn beep. The gendarmes were very accommodating, and we made our flight back to the U.S. on time.

Welcome home, Prof. Wolff, and may you enjoy looking at (and perhaps occasionally re-reading) the books that populate your impressive library.

David Palmeter said...

Welcome home.

Jakob said...

I just finished my undergraduate studies in philosophy in Germany and have enjoyed reading your blog throughout a good half of my degree. I am still in my early 20s but felt a spark of joy knowing that you, an academic of another generation and different continent, are doing well and are blogging again. Godspeed!

chrismealy said...

Welcome back! I was so relieved your books arrived safely, you had me worried there.

As far as shelf space goes, there were two of Marx and Engels, and only one of you, so you've done pretty well!

DDA said...

Several decades ago, faced with shipping a whole of books back from Paris a kindly post office clerk told me about le Sac. It seems that there is a detailed international treaty concerning postal service between countries. Amongst other things it has strictures on costs. And part of that is that books (printed matter) can be shipped cheaply IF (and ONLY IF) you use le Sac. Only certain post office branches stock the sack and offer the service. You throw books, boxes of books, etc. into the sac (large enough to hold a 10 year old child), cinch it up and hand it over.
Several weeks later a very puzzled U.S. post deliverer shows up at our door lugging the sack.
In those days the sack was canvas and a very handsome laundry bag it made.
The service works in the other direction too, though I've never tried it.

Sorry for the opening the barn door after you've already let the horses in.