My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 5, 2021

DUMB AND DUMBER

Achim Kriechel makes reference to the great cave paintings in southwestern France. He brought to mind one of my most appalling missed opportunities. In December 1954 I was driving my tiny motorcycle south from France on my way to Rome. I spent the night in Perigueux, a mere 50 km west of Lascaux where at that time the famous Paleolithic cave paintings were still open to the public. Despite the fact that I had spent endless hours in high school visiting the Museum of Natural History on the upper West side of Manhattan to stare at the displays of Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal skulls, I failed to make a brief side trip to see the cave paintings. Years later, when I returned to France, they had been closed to the public in order to preserve them. Talk about stupid!

8 comments:

John Rapko said...

You can console yourself with the thought that at least your personal off-gassing did not contribute to the deterioration of those great works.--There used to be available on VHS, DVD, and YouTube a marvelous 35' film of Lascaux (Return to Lascaux?) made around the time it was closed, though it seems to have disappeared from the internet and my local library. Norbert Aujoulat's expensive book Lascaux: Movement, Space and Time is a thorough and awesome documentation of the cave and its works.

Charles Pigden said...

I can cap that though in this case it was not stupidity but bad luck that led me to miss out on the the great art work. When I was 21 we went for a family holiday to Anzio (an easy train journey from Rome ) where one of my Dad's colleagues had a seaside place.. Now I have always been a big-time Michelangelo fan and on the designated day I set out on the Rome train for what I thought of as the highlight of my sight-seeing holiday – a trip to the Sistine chapel to see both the Ceiling and his magnificent The Last Judgement. But as the train rolled in a series of newspaper headlines caught my eye: Il papa รจ morto. Paul VI had died and the Chapel had been commandeered for the conclave. No Michelangelo for me. Not then and now not ever. For the last thirty-three years I have lived in New Zealand and I have climate-related scruples about foreign travel., so it looks as though I will never visit Italy again and my date with the Sistine Ceiling has been definitively missed.

Erik Hetzner said...

I had the pleasure of seeing Werner Herzog's film "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" (on the Chauvet cave) in 3-d in the theater. If you ever get a chance, it's absolutely wonderful. I imagine even in 2-d it must be spectacular, but if you get a chance to see in 3-d it is not to be missed.

s. wallerstein said...

Charles Pigden,

Because air travel contributes to global warming you will not travel?

That's a genuine question. I have no intention of polemicizing with you one way or another.

Charles Pigden said...

To S Wallerstien: Yes. I have drastically cut back on my foreign travel since 2008. I plan to give it up for good after my Mother (who lives in the UK) dies.

s. wallerstein said...

Charles Pigden,

Good for you!! That's admirable. I wish your mother many more years of life in any case.

neise charles said...

A VERY SHORT STORY HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV2)
Herpes simplex virus is said to have no cure, just as i was told by my family doctor that herpes can not be cured but can be controlled, Although i was a very stubborn person i never believed in what my doctor told me about herpes having no cure Am a very honest person who believe in nature and i also believed that there could be cure somewhere in the world, I kept my faith so strong and kept on doing my research till i finally came across Dr. Aza Blessed from west Africa He is one of the oldest herbalist after Dr. Sebi and total am a living testimony to his herbal cure to herpes, i became herpes Negative on the 17/05/2021 after using the herbal medication DR. Aza BLESSED mailed to me along with the prescriptions and today its been 2 years and herpes is not traceable in my body system, All thanks To Dr. Aza BLESSED For More Info on how to get cured Contact DR . Aza now on EMAIL : (drazaherbalcenter@gmail.com ) Or CALL/WHATS APP (+1(315) 795 1518 ) or his website:www.drazaherbalcenter.com ..

JOS KURT said...

Herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted infection/diseases, I was so devastated when I first got tested positive and I was able to get rid of it with the use of herbal medicine and today its negative and ever since then I now play safe with whomever I come in contact with. I want you all out there to know that having herpes is not the end of your life cause it can be cured with herbal medicine and I got this medicine from drofenmu@gmail.com WhatsApp +2347063982352 https://drofenmu.simdif.com/