My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, June 16, 2023

LITERARY SPECULATIONS

My first wife, Cynthia Griffin Wolff, wrote her doctoral dissertation in the Harvard English department on the novels of Samuel Richardson, a major 18th-century English writer and often thought of, somewhat inaccurately, as the first English novelist (Fun fact: my 1948 edition of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum lists many minor Italian heretics but only one novel by an Englishman, namely Richardson’s Pamela.  I think the editors figured that if they banned the first English novel the others were more or less included.) Richardson wrote three massive novels, all of them in the format known as “epistolary.” That is to say, the novels consist of letters exchanged between characters in the novel without a narrative commentary or thread connecting them.  Literary scholars have devoted a fair amount of attention to Richardson and other early epistolary novelists and I imagine it would be hard to take a college course on the history of the novel without some mention being made of this form of fiction.

 

After I joined the Afro-American Studies department at the University of Massachusetts, I read a good many books that I had more or less ignored in my previous 58 years, among them the famous novel The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The Color Purple is an epistolary novel. The first line is direct discourse, after which there are 92 letters, some addressed by the main character, Celie, to God, some exchanged between Celie and her sister, Nettie.

 

Alice Walker’s choice of the epistolary form is so striking and so in contrast to the typical forms adopted by modern novelists, that it cries out for explanation. Why did she choose this antique form? What is its function, what does it tell us about Walker’s literary purposes? Since the letters written by Nettie are so noticeably different from those written by Celie, what is Walker trying to tell us by this authorial choice?

 

I think I know the answer to these questions and I have set them forth in a short essay which you can find archived in my box.net location, if you are interested. But more interesting even than the answers to these questions is the fact that I could not find a single journal article or other literary analysis of Walker’s novel that addressed them. I am not a literary scholar but I was married to one for 24 years so, as I like to say, I learned something about the literary critical profession through pillow talk.  I think it is virtually certain that if a prominent white male novelist chose to write an epistolary novel, the academic commentary would be full of speculation about the significance of this choice.

 

Folks these days are constantly arguing about institutional racism, unconscious racism, institutional sexism, unconscious sexism, and so forth. Since the examples given are upsetting and controversial, the arguments tend to proceed at a very heated level. It is sometimes worth stepping back from these fights and taking a look at an example that is, precisely because it is not so freighted with manifest injustices, capable of being analyzed quietly.

 

As I indicated in my little paper, Walker, in my opinion, had several very interesting and important purposes in choosing the epistolary form and in deploying it as she did.  I think it is manifestly obvious that the choice was deliberate, that she knew exactly what she was doing, and that the choice expresses a deliberate and very controversial attack on or counterpoint to the standard interpretations of the Harlem Renaissance and its importance in African-American culture.

15 comments:

T.J. said...

I'm not sure it's true that the epistolary novel is particularly unusual for a modern novel. A quick google search reveals a list of "100 must-read epistolary novels" which, yes, includes entries from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries but which also includes over 70 entries since 1950. I take it this list is hardly exhaustive. So, perhaps the reason it's hard to find people remarking on Walker's use of the epistolary form is that the epistolary form is common place. That's not to say there aren't interesting things to say about Walker's writing an epistolary novel, but I'm not sure the fact that it's an epistolary novel is so striking as to beg for an explanation.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I am afraid I did not make myself clear. My point was not that the epistolary form is so unusual but rather that it is commonplace for literary critics to talk about the form of a work of literature and to derive conclusions from the authors choice. The fact that nobody saw fit to do that about Walker is, I think, significant.

Eric said...

(Daniel Ellsberg has died.
https://robertpaulwolff.blogspot.com/2023/03/sad-news.html
)

Eric said...

I have not read "The Color Purple," but I have read a few other epistolary novels:
Stephen King, "Carrie"
Bram Stoker, "Dracula"
Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein: Or, The Modern Prometheus"
Joseph Torchia, "The Kryptonite Kid"

Anonymous said...

What is the title of the essay on box.net?

Anonymous said...

I am not an expert in this area at all, but it does look like there have been some discussions of the epistolary form in the Color Purple:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C31&q=color+purple+epistolary&oq=color+purple+epis

Anonymous said...

"I think it is virtually certain that if a prominent white male novelist chose to write an epistolary novel, the academic commentary would be full of speculation about the significance of this choice."

I'm no prominent novelist, but the first novella I wrote (Crilium) was written because I wanted more than 42 epistles that Robin Campbell translated of the stoic Seneca the Younger. I did an average job I believe.

Anonymous said...

Hm. There are many, many analyses of that novel that take seriously its epistolary structure.

LFC said...

Iris Murdoch's An Accidental Man has an epistolary chapter or two, though it's not an epistolary novel properly speaking.

Re novels and novelists: Cormac McCarthy recently died. Here's Harold Bloom on McCarthy's Blood Meridian:

https://lithub.com/harold-bloom-on-cormac-mccarthy-true-heir-to-melville-and-faulkner/

s. wallerstein said...

I haven't read the Color Purple, although I did see the movie.

However, I would imagine that the text has been analyzed by many black, especially black women, literary scholars and critics and if they do not take the epistolary style into account, that can hardly be a manifestation of racism.

Charles Pigden said...

If you want an absolute cracker of an epistolatory novel, I recommend Choderlos de Laclos' Les Liaisons Dangerereues (Dangerous Liaisons) At least two good translations though the one by Richard Aldington sucks like a very sucky thing. I teach it in my 'Why Be moral?' class as a tale of two amoralists. The students love it and write excellent essays on it.

Eric said...

Strange coincidence. I mentioned above that I had read an epistolary novel by the late Joseph Torchia ("The Kryptonite Kid"). As it turns out, Torchia was a huge fan of Flannery O'Conner, as he described in a short story called "Inside Flannery O'Connor." What does that have to do with "The Color Purple"? Flannery O'Connor lived practically "across the road" from Alice Walker's family for many years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BonZot21H10&t=1140s

Eric said...

Prof Wolff, you write:
The letters written by Celie exhibit a subtle progressive development, whereas those written by Nettie might all have been written at the same time. One example will suffice. Celie always refers to the man to whom she has been married as "Mr. _____." In the earlier letters, she consistently misuses the possessive case, writing "Mr. _____ children" on page 25 or "Mr. ---- daddy" on page 58. Then, in the dramatic and pivotal letter to Nettie, in which she announces that she is not writing to God any longer, she uses it correctly. -- "Mr. ----'s evil" on page 179, thereby signifying linguistically a growth in self-command and assurance. Nettie, on the other hand, uses the possessive correctly from the very beginning -- see her second letter, p. 119 -- "the Reverend Mr. ----'s place."

I am not convinced on this particular point.

First, Nettie's dialect actually does change from her earliest letters to the later ones. Before she joins in with the missionaries and sets off for Africa, her dialect is like Celie's. The first letter to Celie begins: "You've got to fight and get away from Albert. He ain't no good. When I left you all's house, walking, he followed me on his horse. When we was well out of sight of the house.... I tried to ignore him and walk faster, but my bundles was heavy and the sun was hot." In the next letter she writes, "And I know how busy you is with all Mr. ________'s children."

Second, while Celie clearly experiences the most profound growth over the course of the novel, Nettie experiences something of an awakening as well, as she discovers that the wider world is very different than what growing up in the segregated South had led them to believe. Nettie notes that in England there are whites who all use the same cups and plates while taking tea as do the blacks. She is impressed by the contrast between the crooked, decaying teeth of the white English and the strong, beautiful teeth of the Africans. She tells Celie that she has learned there were great cities in Africa thousands of years ago, and that for centuries the "Africans once had a better civilization than the Europeans."

Eric said...

Third, I think you may be imputing too much to Celie's using the possessive 's form when referring to Mr.______ in that particular letter.
I'm not sure what to make of Celie's using the possessive 's there, but I don't think there are enough occasions in which Celie uses his name in the possessive for us to be able to see a clearly changed pattern.

It is true that Celie frequently uses the possessive 's form for situations that do not involve Mr._____. A few examples of this are: "God's," "Nettie's schoolbooks," "Sister's husband," "Shug's little room," "Shug's bosom," "Squeak's side teef [teeth]," "the mayor's wife."

But she doesn't always: "in Sofia sister house"; "He call down to Harpo and Sofia house"; "in and through Sofia house"; "You come by my house with my mama friend"; "Harpo and Sofia baby girl real sick"; "Harpo daddy give him wages."

It is also true that before that pivotal letter, Celie always dropped the possessive 's when referring to Mr._____ in the possessive: "Mr._____ children," "Mr._____ daddy," "Mr._____ feelings hurt," "crazy for Mr._____ blood."

But I think one alternative plausible explanation is that she had simply gotten into the habit over the years of dropping the 's whenever referring to Mr._____ in the possesssive. Why in that moment she decided to use the 's, I can't say. Maybe she did indeed feel more empowered. Notice, though, that she again drops the 's in a letter to Nettie when Celie returns to Midgeville for Sophia's mother's funeral: "Walking down to Harpo and Sofia house it feel just like old times.... I pass Mr._____ house and him sitting up on the porch and he didn't even know who I was."

Eric said...

Last comment:
Cynthia Griffin Wolff has a new Wikipedia entry, apparently live as of April 27.