My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A REQUEST TO MY READERS

I am writing these memoirs faster than I can post them, and it occurs to me that I am posting them faster than people want to read them, considering that you folks probably have other things going on in your lives besides reading about what I did forty-eight years ago! So, I would welcome recommendations or opinions.

Thank you.

18 comments:

Captain Cabernet said...

I, for one, have been looking forward to the near daily installments.

Unknown said...

Agreed with Mr. Bertram.

Unknown said...

I too have become a daily reader. A cup of coffee while reading about: Harvard, Chicago in the early 60's --- very interesting and enjoyable to say the least. However, the idea that you can write a book in few weeks, oy vey (sorry) I struggle so with writing. How long to write "Beyond Tolerance" (dare I ask...?).

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Once I saw the story line, it went very fast. I don't recall now, but it can't have taken me more than a week or so. My first try [as I shall relate later on] was a flop, and I threw away a half completed draft. But then when I hit on the idea of each kind of state having a different virtue, it wrote itself.

Roberto said...

I also quite like the way you've been posting them so far. I'm currently writing end of term essays, so in the mornings when the memoirs get posted, I have usually been writing for a few hours. Taking a short break to read your memoirs as they get posted has generally been a very pleasant experience. :)

Aliyah said...

I enjoy reading these memoirs, and like Andrew sit down to them every morning with a mug of coffee. Please don't slow down. People can always check out your Blog whenever they want to; no-one has to feel compelled to read it as soon as you post a new entry unless he is keen to follow the story!

Off topic: Bob, I have your Kant book from the library in the 1st edition (Harvard). I now want my very own copy, and I see that's its available also in a later edition (Peter Smith). I love the physical characteristics of the Harvard edition - nice binding, nice print, nice paper. It's a pleasure to read and handle. Can you comment on the production values of the later edition?

Thanks!

Pranay said...

I'm a fan too - post 'em even more frequently, if anything.

Unknown said...

I agree with Pranay. I would read over your shoulder if I could.

Aliyah said...

"I agree with Pranay. I would read over your shoulder if I could." -JP

See that, Bob! You are not merely witty yourself, but the cause of wit in others!

Bruce Lyth said...

I quite like the pace of your postings, although reading about your grad school experiences leads me on occasion to procrastinate from my own (not necessarily a bad thing). Please keep them coming!

Robert Paul Wolff said...

OK, folks. A new post every day.

Aliyah, I am just finished writing about the reissue of my Kant book, and that post will be up in a week or more [I am way ahead of myuself]. Patience. I have a thousand more stories!

MarcusAquinas said...

Although they're coming frequently, they are also bite-sized. I have enjoyed each installment and will continue to follow at whatever interval you choose.

John S. Wilkins said...

More!

David Pilavin said...

continue posting!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Professor Wolff. I vote for an early evening installment in addition to the morning installment. Thanks!

Ali Rizvi said...

I've become a daily reader, too. Enjoying it immensely, especially the academic part, as I can relate to it more easily. Thank you professor Wolff!

enzo rossi said...

I just discovered your wonderful memoirs and I've read all instalments in just over two days. So please, post as fast as you can, and don't stop!

Gary Childers said...

As an individual that has never been employed in the academic world, I am really enjoying these installments and look forward to reading them everyday. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Your pace of publication of these installments is terrific.