My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 25, 2010

FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY BLOG

The response to my question has convinced me that there will be small but interested group willing to go into the weeds with me and learn about the use and abuse of formal models in philosophy, political science, and the law. It will take me some time to set this up, figure out how to scan diagrams and things and post them in the blog, etc. But stay tuned, and I will announce when I am going to start. I think it might make sense to post entries to the blog three times a week. I imagine that some of you have lives, and cannot spend all of your time reading what I write. :)

5 comments:

Nathana said...

Thanks for doing the blog! A friend of mine and I would like to do a reading group along with the blog and so if you have suggestions for papers that would be good to read along with your posts, a broader syllabus as it were, we would definitely be interested.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I will make all manner of recommendations once it gets started.

Marinus said...

I'm delighted to see you take up this task, Professor. I've worked with some of the intersection between normative philosophy and game theory in the past (in particular, David Lewis on convention) and watch with interest to see what you have to say on that topic. The math and formal elements in Lewisian conventions work was never very involved or intrictate (and not because Lewis didn't understand it!), and I've wondered very much and very often just how much work wheeling game theory into a problem actually does.

Unknown said...

Please don't omit economics from your list of disciplines which make formal use of game theory....after all! :-)

Robert Paul Wolff said...

We will try to discover how much work Game Theory does, but I wantr to warn everyone that it will be a while before we get to that. This will be a long haul.