My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

I assume everyone who cares knows the results of the Iowa caucuses.  The unexpectedly strong showing of Rubio makes me very nervous, because I think Clinton is vulnerable to a standard conservative Republican.  If  Rubio now gathers to himself all of the "establishment" Republican votes, he may manage to win the nomination.  I am pleased that Trump handled the loss well, since I want him to win the nomination and destroy the Republican Party.  I still think he is the odds-on favorite to win the nomination unless his fervent supporters now abandon him.

Bernie's showing was extraordinary.  It is a shame that raw vote totals are not reported on the Democratic side.  I would be willing to bet many, many more people caucused for him than for Clinton,

Here is an odd fact I picked up early this morning from the commentary.  There were five Democratic caucus sites where the actual vote was even, and by Party rules, a coin toss determined which candidate got the extra odd State Caucus delegate.  Clinton won all five of those coin tosses!!!   Bernie should have remembered to sacrifice a goat to the gods.

6 comments:

Chris said...

" Clinton won all five of those coin tosses!!!"
Makes me want to be a conspiracy theorist....

Chris said...

Turns out she won six coin tosses...

Tom Cathcart said...

I couldn't agree more about Rubio. I think Hillary (or Bernie, for that matter) could dispatch Trump or Cruz, but Rubio would be trouble for Hillary and would, I think, beat Bernie. Tom Unknown

Acastos said...

What's notable is not that Bernie didn't remember to sacrifice a goat to the gods, but that HRC did. Whom do you really want to be president?

mesnenor said...

Now I want to go out for goat curry.

Rich said...

I believe Stephen Colbert had the joke of the day on this. To paraphrase, all of Bernie's inveighing against money in politics apparently caused the currency itself to turn against him. :)