My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

CLARIFICATION

In my post, I was not arguing the case for Bernie against Hillary.  I have done that elsewhere.  I was trying to explain why Clinton does dramatically better in the African-American community of Democratic Party voters than he does.  My answer was, rather simplemindedly, that her location on the political spectrum is closer to the center of that community than his is.  This is true regardless of her history or that of her husband [or of Bernie.]  

I continue to think that his campaign is valuable even though he will lose, because it is reawakening the left wing of the Democratic Party.  Indeed, if he chooses, as I dearly hope, to transform his campaign into a permanent movement, he has the potential to transform American politics and the Democratic Party.  For that reason, I shall continue to donate to his campaign until, very soon, I hit the $2,700 limit.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prof. Wolff, do you think there is any chance the lukewarm reception Sanders has gotten among African-Americans is due at least in part to the prevalence of antisemitism among African-Americans?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I would doubt that, to be honest, but who knows? I think it is more likely that he has simply spent his entire career in an all-white state and despite his early involvement in the Civil Rights Movement, this has not been an active part of his politics for a long time.