My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Friday, January 6, 2017

A WORD OF EXPLANATION

I have been very touched by the interest shown here in the possibility of some more YouTube lectures.  My reason for wanting a classroom [with some listeners in attendance ] is that I found my first effort in my study, the Ideological Critique lectures, very stilted and unnatural because I was not talking to anyone at all, but to a little camera on my desk.  I don't need a cheering throng, but I do need someone to be there listening and asking questions and making comments.  We shall see.

4 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

I didn't find them stilted or unnatural at all.

I didn't expect Mick Jagger or Demosthenes.

s. wallerstein said...

One more point.

You constantly tell us that everyone should contribute what they can to the political struggle, that is, what they do best and what others do not do so well.

Lecturing on Marx is certainly one of the things that you do best and which others do not do so well. Youtube is a great vehicle for you to tell those of us who are too lazy to read Capital and even too lazy to read your own scholarly works on Marx what they need to know about Karl.

I'm sure that you will agree that a basic knowledge of Marx is a tool which aids the current political struggle. So give us a hand please.

Unknown said...

I'll second that; I found the ideological critiques quite well done. That being said, if you want an audience, who am I to deter that desire. Lectures on Capital would be greatly appreciated, though a continuation of your lectures on Pure Reason (where you go into the other two critiques) would be extremely interesting as well.

Good luck with the in person audience; if only some of us could be there.

Jerry Fresia said...

Echoing all of the above: I would add that any lecture halfway related to a "teach-in" about the current situation might attract a room full of people. Over the summer I acquired friends from Chapel Hill (one of whom is a retired brain surgeon at that) to whom I've since forwarded a blog or two of yours; so I think I could put at least two, maybe more, interested liberal (and open minded!) types into your class - regardless of the subject matter, even your riff on the Transcendental Deduction.