My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 18, 2019

THE REBIRTH OF THE FRIDAY LISTS


Among the many interesting responses to my doleful post asking What can I do? was Charles Perkins’ suggestion that I resurrect the Friday Lists.  For those who have forgotten or who have migrated to this blog quite recently, the Friday Lists were a series of weekly posts on which I simply listed what readers reported they had done politically in the preceding week.  The idea of the lists was to encourage people to take concrete steps of any sort to influence our politics, however minimally, and to strengthen their resolve by having what they had done reported publicly.  That was a brilliant suggestion, and I am hereby declaring the resurrection of the Friday Lists.

What sorts of things are you invited to report?

Here is a short list, intended merely as suggestions:

1.         Donations of money to candidates or political campaigns and committees
2.         Phone calls to state, local, and national office holders
3.         Emails, texts, tweets, or letters to state, local, and national office holders
4.         Campaigning for candidates [raising money, walking door to door, office work, etc.]
5.         Contacting friends or associates to encourage them to do any of the above
6.         Attending rallies, protests, campaign events
7.         Putting up a lawn sign [if you have a lawn]
8.         Putting a bumper sticker on your car [if you have a car]

Some restrictions, qualifications, and caveats:

1.         American citizens or permanent residents only.  I don’t want to run afoul of campaign finance laws and such.

2.         No Republicans.  This is not a Good Government exercise.  If you are a Trump supporter, I urge you to swear off politics and retreat to your basement to converse with the four hundred pound hacker you are hiding there.

3.         This is still primary time, and will be for a full year.  The purpose of this project is to encourage you to participate, not to foster internecine political warfare.  For example, I signed up some time ago to make a $9 a month donation to Sanders in perpetuity.  I also donated $500 to Warren a week ago.  There are undoubtedly Harris, Biden, Buttegieg, Castro, Yang, O’Rourke and Klobuchar supporters among my readers.  Until the party chooses a candidate, this website will not discriminate.  I will of course express my preferences, but not by editing the Friday Lists.

4.         This is not a competition.  Think of it as a cross between crowdsourcing and a flash mob.  The point is not to be seen to be doing more than anyone else.  The point is to encourage each of you to do something.

Instructions:  During the week, report your doings either with a comment or by email to me, at rwolff@afroam.umass.edu.   I will keep a list in the order in which reports come in, and post it each Friday.

Finally:  there are maybe a dozen or so regular commentators to this blog [depending on how you individuate the anonymati], but if Google’s metrics are accurate, there must be between 1000 and 2000 discrete individuals who visit the blog more than occasionally.  I am really really eager to hear from some of you as part of this effort.  Email me if you prefer not to post a comment.

First list:  July 26, 2019.

8 comments:

decessero said...

GO RPW!!

Tom Cathcart said...

I haven't checked in for a very long time, mostly because I was overwhelmed by the volume of political email and texts, to say nothing of my serious addiction to MSNBC (latest drug of choice---Nicolle Wallace in the afternoon.) The Friday lists are a good idea, if only for mutual support. I haven't done a lot lately, other than smallish donations to Buttigieg and Amy McGrath in her race against the despicable McConnell. Also, I've given a bit of money to Planned Parenthood and groups supporting the immigrant children in detention. This week I wrote a grant application for the local immigrant defense network. But that's about it. Rather pathetic, given the seriousness of the problem. I doubt either Pete or McGrath has a good shot, but I think Buttigieg's voice is important, and I'd like to see him hang in as long as possible. I'm hoping to get more inspired, and I'm looking forward to others' lists.

David Palmeter said...

As a resident of the District of Columbia, I have no Senator or Representative in Congress. It’s taxation without representation, pure and simple. Health reasons prevent me for doing things like canvassing. I hate bumper stickers. So I confine myself to small contributions. I’m not donating to any of the presidential candidates right now. I’ll wait until it’s over and support the winner.

I currently make three small monthly contributions through Act Blue: (1) to the DLCC, which supports candidates for state legislatures; (2) to Elizabeth Guzman, a first term member of the Virginia House of Delegates; (3) to Rep. Jared Golden, Maine 2nd District.

Guzman was one of three candidates in 2017 that Bernie recommended via Our Revolution. I contributed to all three. One I never heard from; one sent a thank you by mail, and has been in radio silence ever since. (I don’t remember the names of either or even if they were elected.)

Guzman, on the other hand, responded with thanks and then kept coming back for more and has kept up with me regularly by email ever since. I’ve been impressed with her organizational effort and have given her campaign $10 per month since 2017. She was the first Latina to serve in the Virginia House and is up for reelection this November.

Golden is the young man who, in 2018, flipped a Republican House seat in Maine in a district Trump carried. This was the election in which Maine tried ranked voting. Golden came in second on the first round, with slightly more than 48% of the vote; the Republican also was at 48% but with a small fractional advantage. Golden won when the Green Party second choices were distributed. He is likely to face a strong Republican challenge in 2020.

David Palmeter said...

Tom Cathcart,

I’ve been re-arranging books in probably futile attempt to put them in some rational order, when I ran across my copy of “The Trolley Problem,” complete with a blurb from Prof. Wolff. I bought it five or six years ago, but didn’t realize that you were the author until now. I also had “Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar” but, alas, that has disappeared. They were both very enjoyable. Anything else in the works?

s. wallerstein said...

David Palmeter,

Since we often differ in our opinions, let me tell you that I, like you, detest bumper stickers. I don't own a car, but I don't wear tee-shirts with political messages either, which would be the pedestrian equivalent.

Also like you, various physical ailments due to age make it difficult for me to volunteer for campaigns: I'd last about 10 minutes handing out leaflets in front of the subway: my hand motions have become slower and more clumsy with age. I also suspect that someone as old, slow and out of it as I am would just be a drag for the young kids who from what I can see form the infantry of political campaigns here.

I do donate money.

Dean said...

Another opponent of bumper stickers here. I suppose one could argue that their effect has little to do with whether or not one likes them. They afford name recognition, or some such. For example, I am aware that I should credit "honor student" status, and perhaps at some subconscious level I now do, thanks to all the proud parents who gloat (on their bumpers) about it. But based on my own experience, I don't credit "honor student" status.

David Palmeter said...

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "My son is a trustee at the State penitentiary."

Tom Cathcart said...

David Palmeter,

My favorite bumper sticker said, "CAUTION: STUNT DRIVER."

Danny Klein (another former student of Professor Wolff's) and I have another goofy one out called, "I Think, Therefore I Draw," an exploration of the "deep philosophical meaning of cartoons." I think we went to the well one too many times, though, as it's not doing much.