My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 7, 2019

IDLE SPECULATION


Having nothing better to do on a hot Sunday morning in the Southland, I have taken to speculating on why Pence was called back from New Hampshire.  It was not the 25th Amendment, alas, so in service of my speculation, I put together three apparently unrelated facts:  First, the polls show Trump losing the woman’s vote in 2020; Second, Mueller testifies before Congress July 17th; Third, Trump has scheduled a rally for that day to begin as Mueller ends his testimony.

My purely non-fact based conclusion: Trump will, at the rally, announce that he is dumping Pence and choosing a woman as his running mate.  Whom will he choose?  The obvious answer is Nicki Halley, but I suspect she would decline.  And so?

My favorite answer is Ivanka, who would then take over as President in 2024 for a combined 16 year Trump dynasty.  The only Constitutional obstacle would be that the New York electors could not vote for both of them, but since even Trump does not expect to carry New York, that  is not a problem.

You heard it here first.

8 comments:

David Palmeter said...

Does Canada welcome octogenarian who have health problems as immigrants?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Sure, so long as you can support yourself and pay your medical bills! :)

David Zimmerman said...

Not quite true about Canada, Professor Wolff.

Those admitted to Canada as "landed immigrants," i.e. eligible for eventual citizenship, are eligible almost immediately for coverage under the Canada Health Act. Eligibility periods may differ from province to province, the administrators of the federal system, but the periods are short.

When I came to Canada from graduate school in Michigan as a landed immigrant in the early 1970s to teach in British Columbia, I had health insurance a month or so in, as I recall.

As for supporting oneself, yes, landed immigrant status does generally require that one have employment.

David Palmeter said...

That sounds great. But I worry that when my wife and I arrive at the border, the authorities will separate us and put us in different holding places. We'd both be close to speechless since we'd have no one to complete our sentences.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I am afraid you are going to need a grandchild. Perhaps we should start a service, rent-a-tot.

David Zimmerman said...

Oh dear...... consigned to being the straight man to two very amusing geezers.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

In the retirement community where I live I am considered middle aged.

Charles Pigden said...

In support of Professor Wolff's ghastly conjecture, perhaps Ivanka's embarrassing tendency to insert herself into conversations between her betters at the G20 summit may have been her hamfisted way of preparing herself for the role.

I jest - I hope!