My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 8, 2014

YOU NEVER KNOW

On August 12, 2013, I posted a rather lighthearted [but biblically accurate] explication of the phrase "the mark of Cain."  Today, nine months later, Dennis Frailey makes a comment on that post -- the twenty-seventh comment!  Sometimes I post something I have labored over and nobody comments.  It falls into the black hole that swallows up contributions to the Cloud that fail to attract attention.  And every so often I write something for my blog, like as not facetious or casual, that seems to trigger a tsunami of comments [well, a ripple -- "tsunami" should perhaps be reserved for the responses to posts on the bigtime blogs, like The Huffington Post."]  I can never tell.  I wasn't surprised that lots of people noticed when I actually read Newt Gingrich's doctoral dissertation and reported what I had found.  But for the most part, it seems totally random what provokes comments and what does not.  If I am to be totally self-revealingly honest [as is the style on blogs], I will confess that I like it when people comment.  I feel like Sally Field during her famous Academy Award speech.

Meanwhile, I await the promised critique of my Marx "reinterpretation' by several Marxist economists.

2 comments:

Jerry Fresia said...

Is this to say you are notified whenever there is a comment, even when the post is an older one?

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Yes in this sense. Every day [actually several times a day. All right, many times each day] I click on a tab called "comments" and up come the latest comments in the order in which they have been posted, regardless of which of my posts they are comments on. If I click on the post, I can see which post they are attached to, and when I posted it. This appears on something called "blogger," not on my blog itself.