My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 10, 2017

SHAGGY DOG STORY

The little dog followed me home again this morning, so after Susie and I once more drove him home, I decided it was time to act.  Google tells me that the big gated house [4992 sq. ft. !] is owned by a Duke hospital surgeon.  I wrote the good doctor a letter explaining that much as I enjoy my quality time with his dog, I cannot keep driving him home, so unless he is confident that the dog can get home on his own [it is a male – my mistake], I think he should take steps [the doctor, not the dog, although Mike may be right that the dog has the upper hand in all of this.]  I shall be sorry to see him go.  

4 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

My family had a dog when I was young, and he wandered very far from our home and got back on his own without problems, except getting picked up by the police from time to time, since in those days (and maybe today, I have no idea) dogs were not allowed to roam freely. So I would imagine that the dog in question knows how to find his way home.

Tom Cathcart said...

When I was living in Woodstock, NY years ago, I knew of a couple who moved up from NYC 100 miles away. One day their dog disappeared. A week later they got a call from the new occupants of their apt. Yep, you guessed it. The dog was there.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

I suppose he had forgotten his key.

Tom Cathcart said...

It was Woodstock in the '60s, and we were all eager to imagine this magic dog walking down the Thruway following his memory of the scents on the way up. Looking back from the skeptical age of 77, it seems more likely that somebody from the city picked up the dog and drove him to NYC, where he got away and found his way home.