My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 5, 2019

PASSING THE TIME


I assume that many of you are as mesmerized as I by the speed with which new information surfaces about Trump’s efforts to get foreign rulers to dig up dirt on his 2020 rivals.  There have been endless comparisons to Watergate, but I lived through Watergate, and for the most it was as riveting as the melting of a large pile of snow in the Spring.  This has more the character of a volcanic eruption.  It is hard for us bloggers to write about it because in the time it takes for me to tap out a comment on my keyboard new information will probably have surfaced on CNN or MSNBC.

Rather than try to tame a whirlwind, I thought I would pose two puzzles to which I would love solutions.  I am encouraged by the quality of the replies to my post on the vagaries of senior moments.

Puzzle 1:  Why do clouds develop in discrete layers, sometimes three deep and ranging from 20,000 feet down to 1000 feet?  Everyone who has taken an airplane has noticed this, but I have no idea at all why it happens.

Puzzle 2:  How does friction work?  For example, if I put on a T shirt, it slides smoothly over my back and settles properly on my torso.  But if I have just taken a shower and my back is still damp, it catches and bunches up and I must twist into contortions to grab the hem and try to pull it down.

Surely these are well understood phenomena.  Anybody have a clue?

8 comments:

Dean said...

I can't help at the moment, but Puzzle 2 reminds me of the Steven Wright joke, "If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?"

s. wallerstein said...

While it's true that no blogger can keep up with the mainstream media in covering the current political situation, I for one prefer to hear your comments on said situation from your radical point of view as well as those from the point of view of the regular commenters on this blog, generally radicals themselves, than to get into question of popular science.

The fact that you may comment on a political situation half a day later than the mainstream media does does not in any way lessen the value of your comments in my eyes, since you have a unique alternative viewpoint that is always worth paying attention to and is much more worthy of trust than that of the mainstream liberal media.

Dean said...

Further respecting Puzzle 2, I'm going to guess that friction alone is not the culprit and that high absorbency, e.g., of cotton, contributes to the effect. How it contributes I don't know. Perhaps the fact that cotton is hyrdophilic and exhibit "capilllary action" explains why a cotton t-shirt buckles when it contacts water on skin. The cottom molecules attract, rather than repel the water, and the capillary action draws the water into the fiber.

Michael Llenos said...

Puzzle 2.
I think when there is water on your back both your skin and your shirt 'absorb' the water causing your shirt to cling to your back. So there exists a tug of war (or suction) between your skin and your clothing material for the water on your back. You could probably prove this is true by adding more water to your shirt or your back by standing in the shower while it is on. The more water the stronger the cling. Of course both your shirt and your back-skin will max out in absorption power. So you will not have a shirt or back with too much suction. This is probably the reasoning behind a wet-suit for scuba diving. Nobody ever ripped the skin off their back by removing a water clogged shirt.

Michael Llenos said...

Puzzle 2 con.
I believe there is no cling to a dry shirt on a dry back because both dry surfaces repel one another electrically. Probably wrong though on both counts.

Anonymous said...

For the cloud the best bet I have is that there is several physical mechanism behind the formation of clouds, and they can't happen at all heights at the same time, hence the layering of clouds.

For the shirt thing, the basic and quite incomplete answer is that the space between a wet shirt and the skin is mostly filled with a thin layer of liquid water, thus to move a wet shirt one has to fight against the quite high viscosity of water. This thin layer is formed because water is both attracted to the skin and the coton fibers.
The size of this layer is important, but without a picture, and some math, I will have trouble explaining why, but the core result is that the smaller it is the stronger will be the drag. With air instead of water the gap is bigger and the viscosity much lower thus the drag is much smaller and the shirt slides smoothly instead of sticking.

Anonymous said...

"The size of this layer is important" I meant thickness.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Wow, sounds good to me.