My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

I AM SO COOL

I just did something that probably every eleven year old in the world knows how to do.

To illustrate Marx's argument that profit is not in fact the wages of management, I wanted to tell a little story I made up about the 19th century mill owner in the small hill town of Haydenville, MA who owned a factory on the Mill River and built himself and his daughter a pair of impressive white homes with Greek columns across the street from the factory.

So:  using GoogleMaps I cruised Rte 9 until I found the factory and the homes [which I used to drive past in the '60s on the way to a little country home I briefly owned.]  Then, guided by an informative video found online, I took a screenshot of the factory and homes, copied it onto my desktop, loaded it onto the website of my UNC course on Marx, and sent a message to the students to check it out before next class.  

Here it is:


6 comments:

ES said...

You understand how important visuals are to students!

Dean said...

I doubt that most 11YOs know how to do this. The received wisdom about "tech savvy" kids is highly exaggerated.

As much as I despise Google, I enjoy the virtual stroll in Maps. Sitting in Southern California, I've shown my 92YO mother the Toledo, OH, home in which she grew up. I also use it to locate sites I'm reading about even in old literature, e.g., Boswell on Johnson.

Anonymous said...

Great use of google maps. I used Google Earth to map all the important locations of both my parents' lives. After they passed away, I inherited all their journals and paperwork and from those, I mapped the houses, schools, places of work, etc. and shared the kml files with family and friends. I even located (it's still there) a tree my mother wrote a poem about.

Jerry Fresia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerry Fresia said...

I have driven by there a hundred times. I even worked on the "factory side," making dyed T-shirts. The dye went directly into the brook. After talking up this problem and not pulling my weight, I was fired.

There was talk, 35-40 years ago, that they would develop the old factory buildings into boutique retail. Glad everything looks the same.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Jerry, that is fantastic! I think it was boutique shops for a while. Thanks for the memories!