My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

INVITATION


In the lovely remake of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly as Elizabeth Bennet and the always wonderful Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet, there is a moment at the very end of the movie, after Mr. Bennet has consented to the marriage of Elizabeth to Mr. Darcy, when Sutherland, seated alone in his study, says to no one in particular [roughly] “If there are any other suitors for my remaining daughters, send them in.  I am quite at my leisure.”

Yesterday I taught my last zoom class at UNC, so, like Donald Sutherland, I am quite at my leisure.  If anyone else in the world wants me to teach a course, send them in.


[Thanks to Carl for the spelling correction.]

14 comments:

Ridiculousicculus said...

I am eagerly awaiting the Hume lectures, Professor Wolff!

Nat P. said...

Me too, I was wondering if he's still on the cards.

Nat P.

mmorano said...

I would attend! Hume or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Would love to see you teach a course on Nietzsche. Is he merely Hume on steroids? Probably not, as Hume was a happy warrior and N. had plenty of anger and resentment.

Sinead H said...

I wonder if you (or perhaps another commenter) would answer a perhaps very elementary question about Marx's thought in Capital? I have an informal reading group with a couple of friends and we are working our way through Vol. 1 during quarantine. In Chapter 2, Marx is scathing about the idea that money is merely a symbol, and insists that money is a commodity. But in Chapter 1 we learn that a commodity must have a use-value and an exchange-value - and money, qua money, doesn't have a use-value. How then can money be a commodity? Does Marx only claim this because he is working with money 'backed' by gold and silver (which are clearly commodities), so this wouldn't hold true for modern 'fiat' currency?

Many thanks if anyone takes their time to indulge me here!

Carl said...

It's "Bennet."

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Thank you, Carl. I have corrected it and added a hat tip.

Dean said...

I will attend, Professor. (By the way, I watched the Chomsky lecture again this morning atop the pooper, during my morning movement, and it was just as thrilling the second time through. Thank you.)

David Palmeter said...

I will attend as well.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Sinead H, yes, Marx is assuming, along with the other classical political economists, that gold and silver are commodities that have, for a variety of reasons, been chosen as money [hence "pound sterling."] Fiat money issued by a state with the ability to require that debts to it [such as taxes] be paid in that scrip raise all sorts of problems that Marx did not deal with.

Sinead H said...

Thanks very much, Professor Wolff! That clears it up.

J. Fleming said...

Sinead H.
You might also be interested in David Harvey's course on Vol. 1 of Capital. He has been teaching it for over 40 years.
Here is the link. https://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/
This is not to diminish in any way Prof. Wolff's insight.

Dean said...

The obligatory "That's not me @8:05 AM." Different Dean. I'm the one who chimes in a little more frequently.

Christopher J. Mulvaney, Ph.D. said...

I'll join in, with pleasure.