My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

IDLE HANDS ARE THE DEVIL'S WORKSHOP


I still have a set of papers coming in, but then I really will be at my leisure.  Two questions:  First, if I deliver a short series of zoom lectures on Hume, how many people can join?  Second, is there any way I can record them and upload them to YouTube?  I know that when the managers of Carolina Meadows, where I live, hold a Virtual Town Hall, as they do each week, 300 or more residents join.

Anybody?

19 comments:

grymes said...

If you are using an institutional UNC Zoom account, you can have up to 1,000 people in the room. And yes, Zoom has an option for recording live.

PC said...

Hi Professor, if you want to use a general screen recorder, OBS studio works very well for it too. It's a lot easier to use than it looks, and very flexible.

https://obsproject.com/

mmorano said...

I would gladly join! I am in an odd timezone in Southeast Asia at the moment, but if the time is right I would join live. Or watch recorded. Thank you, Professor, for the kind offer.

Anonymous said...

You could try Youtube live as well.

Brian said...

Count me in!

Ridiculousicculus said...

I would attend live, depending on when the lectures are held. If they will be live, it would be great to have a syllabus beforehand, and you might consider scheduling for weekends or evenings when those of us working from home will be available.

F Lengyel said...

I would either attend or vidi the video.

Regarding the devil's work for idle hands: the Washington Post reported on conservative networks behind the anti-quarantine protests in certain states crucial for Trump's reelection.
I suggest creating another network: since the protesters believe the Washington Post and the New York Times (both of which which have covered the protests) only publish fake news, the protesters and their fellow travelers should be informed through such reliable sources as social media that the anti-quarantine protests never happened and that the purported protesters are paid actors.

LR said...

I would be very interested. Your Kant sessions were brilliant

Anonymous said...

If your Kant lectures were any indication, covid or not, I'd join your Hume lectures.

Jennifer said...

Hi Professor Wolff,

I would love to be in your Hume classes.

The Tech Department at UNC should be able to work with you remotely to record and upload your lectures.

There is a record button at the bottom of your Zoom screen. If Tech can make sure that your lecture is uploaded to the cloud (there is an option for this in Zoom settings), then all you need to do is share the link.

It's also not very difficult to upload your recorded videos to a YouTube channel. I've practiced, and it was quite simple.

Francis said...

I'd love to watch those lectures, either live or on Youtube. When you announce it, I'll see if I can join (working from home and different timezone).

Unknown said...

Would love to join.

Alejandro said...

Dear Prof. Wolff, I would love to join in. But I agree that it would be better, simpler and easier just to do it through YouTube live. We'll be there with you, writing comments or questions (in case you would like to answer them). I read your blog everyday...but, first time writing a comment. Thank you!

TheDudeDiogenes said...

For my part, my work schedule would likely preclude me from watching lectures live over Zoom. I would love to watch your Hume lectures on YouTube, but I have never used Zoom, so I don't know anything about its recording features (or lack thereof).

Jerry Brown said...

Honestly, at this point I would be more interested in the philosophy of Robert Paul Wolff than Hume. But I would watch your lectures on Hume on you tube. Just not sure I could do zoom or whatever it is. Thing is- there is no opportunity to discuss anything with Hume. But there might be with you.

Marsha Brown said...

I'd appreciate the chance to hear you lecture on Hume. My best wishes go out to you and your family.

Unknown said...

love to watch

E.E.S. said...

I would be interested in joining the Zoom sessions (the time of the day allowing).

Nat P. said...

Me too! Would be thrilled to join!