My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 26, 2020

A PAUSE TO LOOK BACK AND REFLECT

I was born on December 27, 1933. Today is therefore the last day of my 87th year. As I prepare to launch into my 88th year, it occurred to me to look back over the course of my life and remember things I have accomplished of which I am proud, before, in the words of Marc Antony, they are interred with my bones.

 

Far and away the two things of which I am most proud are my really quite minimal role in the creating of my two sons, Patrick Gideon Wolff and Tobias Barrington Wolff, and the somewhat larger role I played in raising them to be the splendid men they now are. I bathed them, I changed their diapers, I gave them their bottles, I took them to doctors and to dentists, I went to their teacher conferences, I taught Patrick to play chess and read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy to Tobias (or Toby, as he was then called.) But mostly I just stood by and marveled to see how they turned out. If I have done nothing else in my life, this alone is enough to justify the space I have taken up on the earth during these 87 years.

 

Leaving aside my writings, which in my mind occupy an entirely separate space, I have enjoyed creating or participating in the creation of academic programs, an activity that I have returned to repeatedly during my half century teaching career. In my third year of regular teaching, I played a minor role in creating and then for a year ran an undergraduate interdisciplinary program at Harvard called Social Studies, whose graduates after 60 years include such varied former students as E. J. Dionne, the current president of the University of Pennsylvania, and Merrick Garland. 13 years later, shortly after arriving at the University of Massachusetts, I created a perpetually underfunded but much more interesting left-wing version of Social Studies called Social Thought and Political Economy, or STPEC as the UMass computer labeled it. STPEC is now approaching its half-century anniversary and with a little luck I hope to be able to attend the festivities. Quite my most consequential creation was a scholarship program designed to help poor black young men and women in South Africa attend historically black universities there. I ran University Scholarships for South African Students pretty much single-handedly for 25 years and managed during that time to help roughly 1600 poor South African students get a chance at a tertiary education.

 

In some ways my quirkiest creative act was prompted more by anger than by ideological commitment. My first wife, on her way to a distinguished career as a literary scholar, suffered a series of insults, slights, and professional setbacks due entirely to her gender, particularly during her early years in the 1960s. Unable to do anything at all to help her because of the stovepiped character of the Academy, I conceived in 1969 the idea of getting the American Philosophical Association to establish a Standing Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession. I drafted a letter to the president of the APA, got some well-known philosophers to sign it, and was successful. It is decades since I have had anything to do with the APA but I believe the committee still exists and I hope it has had some effect on improving the conditions of professional life for women in philosophy.

 

Save for the South African scholarship program, which I sustained for a quarter of a century, and always leaving to one side my sons, that is not much to boast about for a man about to become 87. But it is not nothing.

14 comments:

MS said...

I write this with no intent to pander or curry favor. What you have accomplished is quite a lot for one person in one lifetime, more than I have accomplished and more than many of your readers have accomplished. There are no dress rehearsals for how to live one’s life. We all make it up as we go along, trying to provide for the necessities of life, finding some degree of fulfillment for ourselves and, for many of us (but as current events demonstrate), not all of us, to improve the lives of others to some degree to the best of our abilities. It is a rough world out there, and, as the poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins which I quoted a few comments back indicates, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune we all have to face can often induce self-paralyzing depression, as we plead to the forces that be to give our roots rain. So, you have done exceptionally well. If you were to ask Clarence – the angel seeking to win his wings – to show you what the world would have been like had you not been born, it would be a far more tragic and ruinous place, which is far better for having had you in it. Happy 88th Birthday!

Achim Kriechel (A.K.) said...

Happy Birthday Prof. Wolff,

... unabhängig von ihrer perönlichen Rückschau ( für die es meiner Meinung nach viel zu früh ist ), möchte ich Ihnen danken für die wunderbaren Lektionen über Kant und Marx die Sie über Youtube an alle verschenkt haben die es interessiert. Diese Video-Lektionen waren auch für mich ein Geschenk.

Vielen Dank und Gesundheit für die Zukunft

Achim Kriechel (A.K.) said...

368 / 5000
Übersetzungsergebnisse
Happy Birthday Prof. Wolff,

... regardless of your personal review (which in my opinion is much too early), I would like to thank you for the wonderful lessons about Kant and Marx that you gave away on YouTube to everyone who is interested. These video lessons were a gift to me too.

Thank you and health for the future

s. wallerstein said...

Normally, before canonizing a saint there's a space for the devil's advocate to have his or her say, but in any case, have a very happy birthday, Professor Wolff.

Chris said...

Happy early birthday. I am ignorant of the history of Soviet Russia, but I am curious what the equivalent of canonization was. I'm sure an anarchist atheist is not interested in sainthood.

Of course you are overdoing the downplaying of your accomplishments. I expect nothing less.

I think the fact that you continue to learn and interact with people far and wide at 87 is something of which to be proud.

On a side note, the events of the last 4 years have really killed the teleological idea of history for me. It seems that expecting to accomplish more as one lives longer could be a similar idea. Perhaps making it to 87 would allow for more things to be accomplished, but it no longer seems to be necessary to me.

Thanks for your continued thoughts.

Howie said...

Nice use of anaphora and praetoritio Professor

Ridiculousicculus said...

Chris - the Soviets and other communist regimes were really into embalming their dead leaders and displaying the bodies in mausoleums - Lenin's on display in Moscow or somewhere, as is Ho Chi Minh and Chairman Mao (I believe) and many of the post-soviet satellite dictators get or got the treatment. In Soviet Russia's case, there's a lot of literature looking at Eastern Orthodox Christianity's fetishization of saintly relics as the precursor to secular idolaziation of dead communist leader's bodies, and the argument has been made that you can't really understand Soviet communism without understanding Eastern Orthodox Christianity in pre-Soviet Russia.

MS said...

Chris,

Canonization does not only occur in the Catholic or Eastern Orthodox churches. To “canonize” means to treat something as sacrosanct and highly respected. It does not only occur in organized religions. Lenin has a huge tomb canonizing him in Moscow, which thousands of Russians visit every year in order to pay their respects and view his embalmed body.

Michael Llenos said...

Have a Happy 87th Birthday tomorrow, Prof. Wolff! One of the bad things about birthday parties these days is that although we can all still make wishes, presently we're not allowed to blow out candles over the cake...

LFC said...

I must brag briefly about the fact that I have seen the Lenin mausoleum, during a summer-after-9th-grade study-abroad trip to several countries, including the then-USSR, in 1972. A few years later I had a chance to go to China, which, for some incomprehensible-in-retrospect reason, I did not take.

To Prof Wolff, happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! From a youtube Kant viewer!

Anonymous said...

Une salutation chaleureuse au nom de votre ville préférée à l'occasion de votre anniversaire de naissance:
Vous me manquez aussi, cher professeur Wolff, autant que je vous manque! Cela fait trop longtemps que vous n'avez pas pu passer du temps dans votre petit appartement au Cinquième. C'est triste ici sans vous.
J'ai été chargée de vous transmettre des salutations spéciales du Café le Metro à la station de métro Maubert-Mutualité, où vous et votre chère épouse vous arrêtez si souvent pour prendre vos décaféinés très précis et regardez le monde passer.
De bons vœux aussi de la part de tous les fournisseurs de produits, viandes, produits laitiers et poissons au marché de la place. Croiriez-vous que même les Bateaux Mouches vous donnent le bonjour et qu'ils veulent savoir quand vous reviendrez pour vous assurer qu'ils sont tous encore là?
Tout Paris vous adresse ses meilleurs vœux pour une merveilleuse nouvelle année de votre vie, pleine de santé et d'aventure, et un retour dans votre ville préférée!

Marianne

Jack.. said...

Happy birthday Professor Wolff! I'm a long time reader of your blog, having been drawn here by the youtube Kant lectures, and as much as I've appreciated your philosophical insight, I admire your open love and passion for your children and their achievements quite a bit more. I'm only in my early twenties but the kind of joy and meaning found in your life as a father makes me look forward to my future, if the world treats me well. Perhaps I will comment on my luck on this blog in 2030 ;)

gia_lege said...

Happy birthday to you Professor!