My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

NUMBERS

Ernest Gellner was a philosopher turned ethnographer who caused a scandal in English philosophy with his first book, Words and Things, which was a devastating attack on English ordinary language philosophy. I got to know him in the middle 50s when he visited Harvard for a year (he briefly dated my sister Barbara.) 10 years later on my way back from a conference in Italy I stopped in England and spent the night at Gellner’s home south of London. It happened to be election day in England and we sat in his small cottage watching the results being reported on his little black-and-white television set. I was mesmerized by the reports even though I knew absolutely nothing about English philosophy and had not the slightest idea what the results meant. All my life I have been drawn in this way to the detailed reporting of election results. My favorite cable news reporter in the old days was Chuck Todd who was the numbers guy on MSNBC. When Todd was promoted beyond his level of competence the job fell to Steve Kornacki who became my new favorite along with the CNN numbers guy John King. I have no idea why I am so fascinated by detailed election results. Partly, I suppose, it is just because it is numbers but it is also because the numbers represent something that is actually happening, not somebody’s opinion or commentary or interpretation.

 

Yesterday evening I spent a long while watching the C-SPAN report of the House of Representatives vote to increase the support payments to $2000 a person. The rules of the House being what they are, the motion required two thirds to pass. As most of you I am sure know, C-SPAN gives you a picture of the House on which is superimposed the number of Democrats voting yes or no and not yet voted, the same for the Republicans and for Independents and the totals yea and nay. Because of the virus, the House permits members to vote remotely through the intermediation of a member who is on the floor. There is a little ritual statement that the present members must read out for each vote they are reporting of someone not present.

 

As things got going, I noticed that there were roughly twice as many yeas as nays although for a long time not quite twice and I wondered whether the measure would pass. After a while, I saw that although the reported votes were just barely enough to give two thirds to the yeas, there were roughly equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans who had not yet voted and since it took two Democratic votes yea to balance one Republican vote nay I had doubts that the measure would pass. Finally, all the Democrats had voted – only two voting nay – and the count was 275 yea to 136 nay – just a tad over two thirds. But there were 21 Republicans who had not voted. After a while longer the member in the chair banged her gavel and announced that the measure had passed.

 

Neither on C-SPAN nor, so far as I could make out, in any of the cable news commentary was this interesting fact commented on but it seemed obvious to me what had happened. There were a number of Republicans who were opposed to the measure but did not want to be recorded as having voted against Trump, who of course had called for the $2000 payments, so the whole affair behind the scenes was stage-managed to allow the measure to pass, thereby placating Trump, while permitting these 21 not to be forced to vote contrary to their wishes.

 

We await the action of the Senate, which either will or will not take up the measure today. Trump has claimed that McConnell promised him a vote in the Senate and it will be very interesting to see what McConnell does. My fondest hope is that McConnell brings the measure up, Loeffler and Perdue vote no, and despite that fact it passes, so that the Americans desperately in need of help get the increased amount of money and Loeffler and Perdue are forced to defend their attempt to deny the money to Georgians, thereby causing them to lose a week from today.

 

I mean, it is not too much to ask for my birthday, is it?

9 comments:

marcel proust said...

I mean, it is not too much to ask for my birthday, is it?

Apparently yes

MS said...

They will probably vote Yes, to reaffirm their solidarity with Trump. It would be suicidal for them to vote No. So, if it is brought up for a vote, you probably will not get your post-Birthday wish.

PhilosophicalWaiter said...

It has been reported that the two GOP senate candidates, Perdue and Loeffler, have come out in favor of the $2,000 relief checks, which makes it likely that McConnell will schedule a vote. A number of figures in and out of the Senate have said that they think it has the votes to pass if it is brought up for a vote.

In any case, Happy Birthday! May there be many more.

LFC said...

Gellner "turned ethnographer"

Not to mention historical sociologist and social theorist (_Plough, Book and Sword_, _Nations and Nationalism_, etc.).

Anonymous said...

You wrote: "even though I knew absolutely nothing about English philosophy..." That's a typo--right? You meant English politics. --Fritz Poebel

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Indeed I did mean "English politics"

Anonymous said...

Gellner's book on Freud, The Psychoanalytic Movement, is a devastating critique of one of the greatest con jobs since religion. I imagine Gellner to be one of those great central European intellectuals that emerged during the middle of the 20th century. Am I right?

Anonymous said...

I share your interests on Freud and Marx. I started out many years ago by reading The Utopian Flight From Unhappiness: Freud Against Marx On Social Progress by Martin Kalin. Later I read Marcuse's attempted synthesis, which just didn't work for me. He assumed that psychoanalysis has some curative powers, but Gellner effectively demolishes this idea.

Michael H. said...

I took a class from Gellner at LSE in 1971. Consequently, I became a life-long Wittgensteinian.