My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2022

ANARCHISM, SORT OF

An interesting line of comments has cropped up on this blog in the last 24 hours and I thought I would try to respond. The discussion was kicked off by Eric who wrote, in part, “Professor, I came away from reading In Defense of Anarchism rather disappointed. Not being an anarchist myself but open to hearing new ideas, I had gone into it expecting a description of what a thriving society organized under an anarchist ethos might look like, and a plan, or series of suggestions, of how we might transform our current state into such a society. Instead, as I think you acknowledge in one of the prefaces, you ended up writing a negative defense of anarchism, essentially just an attack on hierarchical forms of government and on the assumption that representative democracy is inherently the best and most practical form of government.”

 

Let me begin by apologizing. Eric had every right to suppose that a book with a title like that would contain some sort of description of what an anarchist society would look like and there is not so much as a suggestion of a hint of that in the book, so perhaps I should begin by repeating the story I have told before about how the book came into existence and how it got that title.

 

It all began in the fall of 1963 with an argument with Zbigniew Brzezinski in the Harvard faculty club about nuclear disarmament.  I had been deeply involved in the campaign for nuclear disarmament for several years at that point and had been shouting at the top of my voice about the dangers of nuclear weapons, getting nowhere needless to say. I think I must have snapped during my argument with Brzezinski because I came up for air running as fast as I could up Massachusetts Avenue toward Harvard Square having a full-blown anxiety attack. When I got back to my apartment and had calmed down with the aid of a Valium tablet, I realize I could not go on this way. The fruitless attempt to alert everybody to the dangers of nuclear weapons was getting to me. So I did what any self-respecting philosopher would do – I retreated to the level of theory. 


At some point in that time I wrote an essay titled, as I recall, “The Problem of Democracy,” which I delivered various places including Columbia.  The next fall I started my professorship at Columbia and at the same time went into a full scale Freudian psychoanalysis. Needless to say, I was doing everything I possibly could to make money to pay for the analysis. One of my new colleagues, a young associate professor named Arthur Danto, had contracted with Harper & Row publishers to edit a big volume to be called The Harper Guide to Philosophy, one of a number of Harper guides that would be beautifully bound in leather and sold to be displayed on the shelves of Middle America. The guide was supposed to have 10 lengthy essays, each one on a different subdiscipline of philosophy. Arthur had rounded up really a distinguished crew of people to write the essays but Isaiah Berlin had turned him down for the one on political philosophy so when I showed up in Morningside Heights he asked me whether I would write it. My reply was simple: “How much is the advance?” Arthur said it was $500 which would pay for more than a month of analysis at 1964 rates so I said yes. The essay, which was due at the end of the following summer, was supposed to be a survey of the forefronts of the field but I had not the slightest clue about the forefronts of political philosophy or any of its other fronts so when I sat down to write the essay the next summer I decided simply to write my own political philosophy. I figured nobody would read the book – the editor, Fred Wieck, had told me that Harper & Row was “aiming at the book buying rather than at the book reading public.” So I banged out an 80 page essay and turned it in, thereby avoiding having to cough up the $500, which would have been impossible for me to manage.

 

Alas, the series of Harper Guides never came out and Arthur’s collection languished. As the years passed, Wieck handed it off to Al Prettyman who in turn passed it on to a young man named Hugh Van Dusen who headed up a new division of Harper called Harper Torchbooks.  By 1970 I had gotten tired of referring to the essay as “forthcoming” so I called Hugh and asked them whether it would be all right if I used the material in it in a standalone essay of my own. He was rather embarrassed and said of course I could. Then I had an idea. “What about bringing it out as an independent little book?" I asked. Hugh loved the idea and with some excitement said “Great! I can bring out a series of 10 little books. But Political Philosophy is not a very catchy title. Can you suggest something better?”

 

I had an idea. When I was a boy growing up in a little row house in Kew Gardens Hills in Queens, New York I would rummage about in the unfinished attic to see what was there. One of the things I found was a complete set of the works of Mark Twain which my parents had bought many years earlier. Among the volumes, which I read with the greatest of pleasure, was a volume called Literary Essays. In with such famous essays as “James Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Errors” was an essay Twain had written about the first wife of the famous English poet Shelley. Shelley’s second wife was of course Mary Wollstonecraft, remembered forever as the creator of Frankenstein, but his first wife was a young woman with whom he had a child and whom he then cast off unceremoniously. Shelley, his companion Byron, and the other young poets had nothing but scorn for Harriet, which infuriated Twain so he wrote an essay taking her side in the marriage which he called “In Defense of Harriet Shelley.”

 

When Hugh Van Dusen asked me for a better title for my essay on political philosophy, I thought of Twain and said “How about In Defense of Anarchism?”  “I love it!” Hugh responded, and six months later the little book appeared. When I wrote it in 1965 it probably would have made little or no stir at all but by 1970 America was being torn apart by opposition to the Vietnam War and the book took off like a rocket. In the intervening half-century and more it has sold 200,000 copies in English and has been translated into a dozen languages. If I am remembered for anything after I die it will be for that little book but it was never intended as a discussion of how one might organize a contemporary society without a state and it is not therefore strictly speaking a defense of anarchism.  Rather, it is a philosophical argument that there is not and could not be a de jure a legitimate state.

 

So Eric is quite right to be disappointed. I am afraid the title is a good example of what is called in the world of commerce “bait and switch.”

 

All of which is a good story but leaves unanswered his question, How would an anarchist society be organized?  Well, sometimes the truth is really quite simple, and the truthful answer to this question is “I have not a clue.” I am absolutely certain that the argument I gave in that little book is correct and that there is not and could not be a de jure legitimate state. But unlike people like David Graeber, I have given very little thought to the matter of what an anarchist society might look like. After writing several other books, I turned my attention full time to the thought of Karl Marx and devoted the next 20 years of my life to struggling with and clarifying his analysis of capitalism and the exploitation that is at its root. I have never been a member of an anarchist collective, I am not particularly drawn to the idea of growing my own vegetables or resoling my own shoes, and happily yield the stage to those who have thought about such things.

 

One thing I am reasonably confident of, however. In the world in which we now live, the success or failure of small-scale communitarian living accommodations or productive activities will tell us nothing at all about possible alternatives to capitalism as it now dominates the world.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The massive experiment on humanity being carried out right now in the form of mRNA gene therapy shots is a much larger threat than nukes!

VAXNOTICE.COM

Tony Couture said...

That is an interesting background story or perhaps confession of an accidental anarchist. I also have never been interested in communes or do-it-all-yourself philosophies, or what Murray Bookchin called "lifestyle anarchism" in contrast to his social ecology. David Graeber as an anthropologist has more disciplinary incentive to go live with the natives and camp out with the radicals in Occupy Wall Street, and connect existentially with the vast tradition of non-governmental experimentation, the art of not being governed as it is practiced every day by refugees from government all over the world who may or may not call themselves anarchists, depending on social conditions. Graeber's approach is mostly anti-theory and emphasizes the primacy of anarchists practices over the theory itself.

Philosophers should study great books and figure out the flaws in their arguments and work to make progress on what they can do well, not try to do everything. In Defense of Anarchism works because it is a bold argument defying the utilitarianism of representative democracy theory by promoting the uncompromising anarchism of unanimous direct democracy.

America needed a new "master narrative" in which its compromised and phony democracy run by the often racist business classes was put into honest perspective by a vision of extreme democracy, democracy taken to its very limits, where no ruler could stand stiff over the people to command them. Anarchism is the implicit value of disobedience built into our dialectical democratic tradition, hidden for centuries by the glorification of obedience by the disciplinary society and demonized as the enemy of the well ordered society. If America wanted to restore the vitality of its democracy, it had to become more anarchist in resisting the overgovernment of owners, capitalist chauvinists and enemies of freedom.

Students for a Democratic Society, Paul Goodman and Martin Luther King Jr. and others stirred up this spirit of disobedience and the people began to work on the long road to freedom from these overseers. In Defense of Anarchism crystalized this disobedience of externally imposed law upon our collective individuality and so R. P. Wolff will always be remembered by the more liberated generations of the future. These matters are always contingent, so perhaps as the dazzling Prospero, or perhaps just as the simple scribe standing at the center of this democratic storming and tempest of civilization's discontents. No one can come up with the blueprint for a genuinely free society because there isn't one, it is a mirage of the theorist, not reality.

David Zimmerman said...

Please, Anonymous:

Do spare us your absurd vaccination-phobia lies.

David Zimmerman said...

VAXNOTICE.COM

....is a vile site.

Charles Pigden said...

The best attempt that I know of to imagine an anarchist society and to explore its advantages and disadvantages is Ursula K LeGuin's science fiction novel 'The Disposessed' . It's a masterpiece.

aaall said...

I see Prof. Leiter has a post on G & W. This was linked in the comments:

https://annebonnypirate.org/2021/12/16/all-things-being-equal/

Anonymous said...

Communists are vile!

charles Lamana said...

My comment is on the appreciation of Professor Wolff's refreshing honesty about how his book,In Defense of Anarchism, came to account. His time at Harvard, having an anxiety provoking experience, where Zbigniew Brzezinski and he were in the faulty lounge,and he revealed his passion to the real dangers of nuclear weapons to a height that left him full of anxiety,and consequently fleeing into the streets, Massachusetts avenue,(fight or flight)and back to his apartment to take some Valium. He states he "thinks he must have snapped" is the direct honesty that I wish more folks could reveal. For me,it gives the philosopher a sense of humility that shows us what it is like to be human no matter how intellectual one is.
I understand the comments are about anarchism and its move from theoretical to actual.
However I wanted to say how much I appreciate the main character behind all of it, whose authenticity and charming real life "story telling" is a wonderful blend of the philosophical and the personal.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Thank you, Charles. Your comment means a great deal to me.

Charles Pigden said...

Wrt the other Charles's comment. See George Monbiot's Review of 'Don't Look up!' in the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/04/dont-look-up-life-of-campaigning

Another Anonymous said...

Professor Wolff,

I would recommend, if possible, that you include a preface in future publications of “In Defense of Anarchism” which would contain a disclaimer to the effect that you are not claiming that anarchism is a workable form of government which should be sought in lieu of a hierarchical democratic form of government. For years I have been operating under the mistaken belief that by criticizing democracy as a de jure legitimate state you were proselytizing in favor of anarchism as the only morally justifiable form of government, and that you were recommending throwing over the traces of democracy in favor of anarchism. But anarchism as the fulfillment of individual autonomy struck me as a totally unworkable alternative to democracy, and it frankly annoyed me that you appeared to be advocating overthrowing democracy in favor of anarchism. Hence, my critical comments in response to some of your past posts in which I invoked what I thought was your argument in Defense of Anarchism as being inconsistent, for example, of your criticism of Trump, since Trump’s behavior was arguably the expression and fulfillment of his autonomy, which he had a right to do, in defiance of democracy. You found my criticism offensive, because you were unaware that I was operating under a misapprehension of your objective in Defense of Anarchism. If including a preface in future publications of Defense of Anarchism is not feasible, you may want to consider adding a preface to the copies of Defense which are available for free online.

Jerry Fresia said...

Ah, how sausage is made! I remember reading this story on the blog before but enjoyed it more this time. I love the concept of little books.

This blog ought to be to the Intro. Do you suppose that the title of the book accounts as much as the contents for it's broad appeal? I'm sure there are more than a few Erics out there.

And I agree with Charles; if only all the other "heavy weights" could not just write like that but write "heavy" stuff like that. Perhaps one day you will regale us with the specifics of your conversation with Brzezinski - or do a review of Daniel Ellsberg's fine book on the subject which I suppose you have read.

Tony Couture said...

This comment is directed more at Eric and other scholars curious about the realistic plan or positive vision of anarchism (the blueprint of the flourishing anarchist society). I have developed expertise in radical philosophy and have been researching anarchism many years.
1) Check out the book Communitas (1947) by Percival Goodman and Paul Goodman, as it gives you the basic vision with some architecture.
2) Look at the work of ecologist Bill Mollison, Permaculture, for a version applied to ecological communes/experimental living.
3) The best history of anarchism is Demanding the Impossible (1993) by Peter Marshall, and it gives the widest possible narrative, including much attention to historical objections to anarchism while defending its relevance.
4) Return to your childhood sensibilities briefly, and read Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels (1726), in particular, Part IV: A Voyage to the Land of the Houyhnhnms. But why study fairy tales? Because the ideal theory of anarchism is a fairy tale and you must remember this as you turn to practical anarchism instead.
5) For an account of the distinction between the ideal theory of anarchism and the extremely nonideal anti-theory of practical anarchism, search online for: Anarchist Investigations: An Anti-theoretical Guide to Practical Anarchism, by Anthony Couture, University of Prince Edward Island. It is found here with this link

https://upei.academia.edu/AnthonyCouture

In my interpretation, Professor Wolff is central to the arguments regarding anarchism since the 1970's, but I have great difficulty conceiving how he relates to Noam Chomsky. One of my greatest wishes for 2022 is that Chomsky and Wolff talk to each other again and understand each other. I describe Chomsky as a practical anarchist primarily, rather than an uncompromising anarchist, so he is a part-time anarchist or more pragmatic, but working in the same directions as Professor Wolff. They belong in the same conversation I think.

Eric (not a scholar) said...

Prof Couture, I don't have access to most of the books you recommend.

From your study of anarchists' history, what can you tell us about what anarchists, including the "practical" anarchists, say or have said about how they would be able to defend themselves against aggression from hostile nonanarchists? The development of ever-more powerful weapons and intelligence/surveillance technologies in the past century would seem to have made this concern all the more acute.