My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2022

THANK YOU

Three hours ago, Michael said something about me in the comments section on this blog that touched me very deeply. In a way, it is the loveliest thing anybody has ever said about me and I would like to thank him and – this is, after all, my way – tell once again a story about something that happened to me 35 years ago. Here is what Michael said:

 

“Before I go far off-topic (like others, I have a questionable habit of treating this blog like an all-purpose conversation forum), I should thank Prof. Wolff for what he does. As Charles and Jerry Fresia said in response to the previous entry, Prof. Wolff's honesty and authenticity are refreshing. I'll add that I often get a good feeling watching his YouTube videos in particular; the feeling is that the intellectual and academic showboating that seem typical of philosophical discussion have completely receded from view, and have given way to something more pure, pleasant, intriguing, and even childlike (in the best possible way) - I can't quite pin it down, but it reminds me of the "wonder" of the Ancient Greeks, or, less pretentiously, of very young children learning to explore their minds (or some more grown-up friends enjoying a psychoactive trip of some sort). It's a good thing - one of the best things - and it makes me want to try to share it in some way. Thanks, Prof. Wolff.”

 

In 1986, as my first marriage was ending, I spent time seeing a therapist once a week. It was, God knows, hardly the first time I had seen a therapist! I started when I was 14, struggling with obsessive fears of death, and what with a full-scale Freudian analysis during my seven Columbia years and one thing and another I had spent by that time 15 years in one sort of therapy or another.

 

Now, It may seem odd, but in all that time I had never cried on the analytic couch or in the analytic chair. Tears had never welled up in my eyes as I went on about my troubles, although I am in other contexts, as Jude Law says in that lovely movie The Holiday, something of a weeper. I mean, I tear up at the end of movies and even when I am telling someone else about them. But not once had I wept for a therapist.

 

One day, I somehow got off the topic of my troubles and started talking about my work. I explained to my therapist that all my life I had sought to engage with complex and deep ideas, to tell the story of them in my head until they were so clear to me that I could show them to my readers or my students and allow them to see how lovely and powerful and simple they were.

 

As I said this, unexpectedly and quite unbidden, tears came to my eyes and I began to choke up. 

 

Thank you, Michael.

10 comments:

John Rapko said...

There's an astounding essay by Paul Goodman called 'On the Intellectual Inhibition of Explosive Grief and Anger' wherein he discusses when and why the 'intellectual sensitive man' cries. He suggests that such a person can only cry on two types of occasion: (a) "when he attends to something of pure and simple beauty that suddenly surprises him." The 'sensitive man' is drawn in by something that promises happiness, and then is surprised and touched by a turn that is resolving and even simpler than expected [like the movies?]; and (b) when there is relenting, "the relaxation of an unnecessary torture," as when a judge who has condemned you reaches out to shake your hand. Goodman provisionally concludes that the man weeps "for beauty and the remnants of self-security." He thinks that those in such a condition are still afflicted with an inability and/or unwillingness to stake themselves. The cure, Goodman thinks, is to identify oneself with the present hope for paradise and to engage oneself in actively making it. To do this, he claims, the habitually reasonable and cautious self must relent, dropping its constraining standards of "the need to be always right; to be consistent; unwillingness to be a fool; satisfaction with the situation when it is well enough."--In any case, Michael's remark was perhaps an instance where hope and reality coincided in paradise.

Anonymous said...

That really clears things up, John.

John Rapko said...

Thanks for your kind response, Anonymous! But alas I wasn't trying to clear anything up, but rather raise possibilities for reflection.

Michael said...

You are very welcome, Prof. Wolff.

I thought John's response was quite cool, too. I did have to read it a couple times, but it isn't as difficult as Anonymous implies. Paul Goodman definitely sounds worth checking out.

Achim Kriechel (A.K.) said...

I wish Prof. Wolff and all readers and commentators of this blog a happy new year and above all good health. ... this comes a little late, but why should wishes have an expiration date.

"The cure, Goodman thinks, is to identify oneself with the present hope for paradise and to work actively toward it." (John Rapko)

Perhaps a little less apocalypticism will do the trick. Maybe working on concrete utopias is a better way to cope with our own. And in the process also, little by little, to drop one's own vanities. The latter is perhaps even more difficult. But the lack of vanity was one of the things (not the only thing !!) that I liked so much about the lessons on Kant, Marx and ideology critique, and that I also recognize in this blog.

I know that Prof. Wolff doesn't like Hegel and I would guess that he is even more obscure in the German original than in the English translation, but I still like a quote of him: "As for the individual, each is anyway a son of his time; so is philosophy, its time grasped in thought." Isn't that nice, "a son of his time"? has something performative.

My wishes for 2022
However, if one can change already hardly something at the course of the things, I wish myself at least, that one does not let the liars of this world with the feeling of having duped me.

decessero said...

A.K. i would so much like to know, as this is clearly important to you and i respect your writing, what you mean by "that one does not let the liars of this world with the feeling of having duped me". In trying to translate it back to the German, is it "Wenn man jedoch am Lauf der Dinge schon kaum etwas ändern kann, wünsche ich mir zumindest, dass man sich von den Lügnern dieser Welt nicht mit dem Gefühl betrogen hat."? If that is the case i am not sure i understand its meaning. Can you explain a little please?

Achim Kriechel (A.K.) said...

@ decessero,

i know my english is not the best. i always check with translation software, but sometimes that just increases the confusion.

To answer your question, I'll just do it with an example; Trump is a liar. He is even a powerful liar who reaches a lot of people with his lies. A lie is "bullshit" coupled with an agenda.

If you can't stop the Trumps of this world from exercising their power, then you should at least make their lies visible.

Now, the lies of this Mr. Trump are mostly so blatant that it is easy to expose him. It is more difficult with self-deception, that is, when one lies to oneself. This self-deception is the basis for whole classes within a society to deceive themselves. Example: When Americans in precarious circumstances - or those who are afraid of getting into such circumstances - believe that a billionaire is their salvation.

As naive and simplistic as this all sounds, I think philosophers are committed to the truth, even if you can't always stop the liars with the truth.

decessero said...

Thank you, Achim, for your explanation. Then i would have to believe from all the comments you have written that you are quite clear-eyed and principled, so not so much in danger of that happening.

Achim Kriechel (A.K.) said...

dear decessero,
if by " principled " you mean the principle: "Thou shalt not lie", then for me there are exceptions. For example, when my wife asks me if she is dressed correctly for dinner.

decessero said...

So let's play a little, Achim (whose name means "brothers" in Hebrew):
Dressed "correctly"? i would hope you would tell her if her choice were glaringly inappropriate. If merely, shall we say, "not quite right" by your judgment, we can invoke the delicate subject you raise: There are LIES ("thou shalt not lie") = Lügen (roughly deliberate deceptions) and then, as in the case at hand, there are "WHITE LIES" ≈ Notlügen (those small untruths primarily told to avoid hurting someone's feelings). [N.B. in German these are "Not" Lügen, i.e. born of necessity; in English, they are "white" = weiße Lügen (jedoch nicht weise Lügen) — so, although it sounds the same, they may be white, but they are not by definition wise.] As i said, just playing :)