My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Monday, July 24, 2023

ADVERTISEMENTS FOR MYSELF (WITH APOLOGIES TO NORMAN MAILER.)

In Autobiography of an Ex-White Man, a book I published in 2005, I undertook in the second chapter to analyze three major college American History texts, each of which went through many editions and revisions, to demonstrate the ways in which the historical profession sought over some decades to adjust its original story of America to changing social pressures and political orthodoxies without, however, altering the basic structure of the story. In the third chapter, I started again from scratch and wrote what I called the true story of America as I had learned it from my colleagues in the Afro-American Studies Department at the University of Massachusetts. What I was attempting to demonstrate was that no matter how you tweaked the old story, it was still the wrong story and hence had to be completely rejected, not improved edition by edition.

 

Almost nobody has read that book, I am sorry to say, although I think I did a good job in it. If you are interested, you can find it archived on box.net, which can be reached by the link at the top of the main page of this blog. The two chapters together are only 30,000 words long, and it is a very easy read. I recommend it

1 comment:

Ludwig Richter said...

I recommend it, too. I read it via Kindle in 2017 and found it engaging and insightful.