My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 27, 2014

NEVER A DULL MOMENT

Well, I posted a rumination about the higher meaning of my writing, went down to the first floor to get the mail, and promptly got stuck in the elevator coming back up to the third floor.  A big bump, a smaller bump, and it stopped dead between the floors.  I pressed the emergency phone button on the elevator command panel [it worked!], reported the problem ["Help is one the way," the lady said], and waited.  While I waited, I learned that contrary to every movie I have ever seen, you cannot pry the door open from the inside.  Also, though there is what appears to be a trap door in the ceiling, I am way too short to reach it.  After fifteen minutes, during which I called Susie to let her know where I was [good old reliable cell phone], the elevator started up, stopped at the second floor, and the door opened.  I jumped out.  The elevator door closed and the entire elevator system went dead.  Rather like being swallowed by a big fish that decides I am not tasty and egests me.  I think now I know how Jonah may have felt.

For what it is worth, the elevator inspector in this part of North Carolina is named Cherry Berry, according to the inspection sticker in the elevator -- not a name to inspire confidence.  It could as well be a new Ben and Jerry flavor.

2 comments:

David Auerbach said...

There is such a flavor ice cream out there. However, that's not her name. Our Labor Commissioner is Cherie.

Michael Llenos said...

"I think I know how Jonah may have felt..."

That depends if Jonah was swallowed my a whale or a megladon. This, ofcourse, is still a continuing debate--which was started by Herman Melville. He believed Jonah went into a baleen whale's mouth. Others, including myself, believe he was swallowed by a megladon. The latter idea more in accordance with the text, since sharks can swallow prey items into their belly and spit them back out later on.

Your personal experience sounds like you were swallowed by a whale. You have to be in its mouth to try to pry it open with your hands--which is similiar to what you tried to do with the elevator's doors.