My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 5, 2019

ANOTHER YEAR ENDS


My Tuesday adventure has come to an end for another year.  No more early morning flights, no M60 bus to Columbia, no lunches with Todd at Wu Nussbaum.  At the very end of the last class, I said this:

And so the semester ends.  For you, this is just one of three or four or five courses you are taking, and already you are registered for next semester’s courses.  But for me, the two hours I spend with you are the high point of my week.  As I was reflecting on this fact, I recalled a passage in Chapter One of Capital which you may have missed, because it is in a footnote.  Marx writes, “Such expressions of relations in general, called by Hegel reflex categories, form a very curious class. For instance, one man is king only because other men stand in the relation of subjects to him. They, on the contrary, imagine that they are subjects because he is king.”  You think of yourselves as students because Todd and I are professors.  But in fact we are only professors because you are willing to be our students.   So as you go off to write your final papers, I should like to thank you for giving this old philosopher another opportunity to be a professor.

8 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

That's really quite moving. I've never had a professor who thanked us for giving them an opportunity to be a professor nor a doctor who thanked their patients for giving them the opportunity to be a doctor.

Gratitude is one of the noblest and one of the scarcest human traits.

Thank you for creating this space for us to comment in.

I recall a friend years ago telling me that Johnny Carson (then host of the Late Show) had saved more people from suicide than all the hotlines. I didn't understand him at the time, especially because I had a completely negative opinion of Johnny Carson and of TV in general. While I can't say that your blog has directly saved me from suicide, there are days where it's added a grain of meaning to my life when there were no others.

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Thank you. That makes it all worthwhile.

Colin Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Beautifully put.

NP

Amarnath said...

Dear Professor,
I regularly read a dozen blogs along with the comments. There is no doubt that you are the luckiest in having Mr Wallerstein as a regular commenter. I hope you would not mind my saying that many times your essay is incomplete without his response.

s. wallerstein said...

Amarnath,

If I may quote Professor Wolff above, thank you, that makes it all worthwhile.

Really, thank you very much.

TheDudeDiogenes said...

Professor, I would like to echo the comments in this thread. Your blog posts (and YouTube lectures) are bright stars in an increasingly dim sky. I only wish that I could have been lucky enough to take a class taught by you in person, at some point in my life!

And s. Wallerstein, I would like to echo Amarnath: I always find your comments worthwhile, and they add much to my enjoyment of the good Professor's blog.

s. wallerstein said...

Dude Diogenes,

Thank you too.